Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

Old 05-07-2004, 11:04 PM

konfuzed is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

THANK YOU f4rider!!!!!!

I went out today and played around. I know you pros will think this is crazy, but I am really excited I got it off the ground. The first few time I clutched it up, it felt like it went about 6-12 in.... I worked that a few times to get used to my bike's power.

Then I grew some bigger ***** and put more power into it. The nose came up quick and stable. I did slam it back down a couple of times before I got used to giving it a little gas right before the front got to the ground. I am sure i didn't make it to the BP, but i got it high enough that i could not see past the nose.(sitting not stand ups) Then I started working on second gear..... I could not get that up as easy, so i am going back to 1st to try and find that BP.

Thanks again f4rider (you are the SH*T), I think you saved me a lot of questions, wear and tear and helped me out a lot with my confidence.

P.S. for those of you are are going to attempt this, watch out for those first few landings, they can play hell on your nads!!!!!!! :YEAH
Old 05-08-2004, 12:34 AM

R6-Rider07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think its that safe to try and find the BP in 1st gear man...get used to just gettin it up..then start clutchin in 2nd-3rd...get it down good..ride it out for a while..then get it all the way up to the Point..its not that easy man..i can ride my 2nd-3rd clutches out for a while..and i'm not at the BP..so take ur time .~Brandon
Old 05-08-2004, 12:40 AM

konfuzed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R6-Rider07
I don't think its that safe to try and find the BP in 1st gear man...get used to just gettin it up..then start clutchin in 2nd-3rd...get it down good..ride it out for a while..then get it all the way up to the Point..its not that easy man..i can ride my 2nd-3rd clutches out for a while..and i'm not at the BP..so take ur time .~Brandon
Thanks man, that is good advise. You are right, i need to chill out and take my time.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:44 AM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R6-Rider07
It hurts real bad messing up when trying to find the balance point in third without first learning how to use the brake, trust me.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:15 AM

yea ur right..that was part of the point i was tryin to get across..rear brake is a must for everyone ridin on the rear wheel.~Brandon
Old 05-09-2004, 05:24 PM

md954 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard that it dangerous to clutch up a 954 in 1st gear. I've been working on powering mine up for a month now but I don't like the fact that It's never really a stable lift each time. sometimes I only come up a little bit other times I really pops up so fast I dump it too fast.
Do you guys think I should just scrap powering it and start over with clutching it?
Also what is a good speed to start at?
I was powering it at about 25-35.
Thanks for the help and the posts.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:09 PM

Gelfreak91 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the help, read word for word and found it very helpful!
Old 05-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Registered Stunter

Metzger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md954
Do you guys think I should just scrap powering it and start over with clutching it?
yes. clutch it in 2nd.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:47 PM

mandy67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

thank you that is all i needed to finish my skills.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:52 PM

md954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TempTagg
yes. clutch it in 2nd.
What speed/rpm range should I be at. I've tried this weekend to clutch it in 2nd but all I get is high revs and surges forward.

I guess it doesn't help that I'm 5'8" and only 140 lbs and the bike's been lowered an inch, so sitting back on the bike doesn't do much.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:15 PM

Luke is an unknown quantity at this point

dam good write up! Good job bro!
Old 05-10-2004, 02:49 PM
man whore

Ruff will become famous soon enough

Hope you don't mind but I'll be forwarding this to all my stunter prodigies. One of the best "How-To's" I have ever read.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:48 PM

JustinCBR600 is an unknown quantity at this point

sup guys,
really need ur help on this. I read the post and thought i had it but i didn't. I took the bike out this is my first time trying to wheelie. I have a 93 cbr600f2, i have seen a guy wheelie my bike before and he said he can easily do it in second gear. In first and second i can only lift up to 6 inches max, then fall back down. i cannot go any higher.
In first gear I drive to 15-20 mph, then close throtle, pull in clutch, then open throtle to 10 rpm and release cluctch. the bike speed forward dut i don't feel that it came up. So i try again at 12 rpm and it cam up probably 6 inches
I did the same in second gear. Can someone please tell me what i di wrong and what need to be fix inorder to get it right. If you have the time can you give me specific detail and step by step. i'm at work now and i'm anxious to take the bike out tonight to try again. :YEAH thank guy. you guys wrote a good tip but i'm just a slow learner. Thanks again

justin
Old 05-10-2004, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by JustinCBR600
sup guys,
really need ur help on this. I read the post and thought i had it but i didn't. I took the bike out this is my first time trying to wheelie. I have a 93 cbr600f2, i have seen a guy wheelie my bike before and he said he can easily do it in second gear. In first and second i can only lift up to 6 inches max, then fall back down. i cannot go any higher.
In first gear I drive to 15-20 mph, then close throtle, pull in clutch, then open throtle to 10 rpm and release cluctch. the bike speed forward dut i don't feel that it came up. So i try again at 12 rpm and it cam up probably 6 inches
I did the same in second gear. Can someone please tell me what i di wrong and what need to be fix inorder to get it right. If you have the time can you give me specific detail and step by step. i'm at work now and i'm anxious to take the bike out tonight to try again. :YEAH thank guy. you guys wrote a good tip but i'm just a slow learner. Thanks again

justin
Are you standing? Are you helping the bike by bouncing a little? Are you slipping the clutch, or dumping it?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:06 PM

JustinCBR600 is an unknown quantity at this point

i was sitting. and i try standing but nothing. When you say bouncing is it this: in first gear i went up to 20-25 mh (6000rpm) then the engine sounded like it reving high. when i close the throtle the front push down then i try torev really quick to 8k-10k rpm and release clutch and try to pull bar. is that what it mean by bouncing?? I may have not done it fast enough? thank for any help.

justin
Old 05-10-2004, 11:32 PM

b_faulk75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

Hey,I just had to post back and tell you again how helpful this has been,I've had my GSXR since september and wasn't real good at gettin the front up. I could powerwheelie in first but thats about it,but last night I went out to a practice spot and spent 2 straight hours learning to clutch it up and once i got it down it's easy as a 2$ hooker. Now i can bring it up like a madman,clutchin it is definitly the way to go cause your movin slower when it comes up and you can ride it farther before it tachs out,I'm still only sittin down, but i was out today f#$kin off and i'm getting it. THANKS AGAIN!!! :YEAH
Old 05-11-2004, 08:53 AM

When you bounce it up..try not to use much of your arms...its all in the legs with bouncin up ..if its either clutchin it up or just power wheelies...useing ur arms will have it come up ...and then land back down a little shaky..try this tonight ..and post up some results :YEAH ~Brandon
Old 05-12-2004, 03:20 AM

sixftnine is an unknown quantity at this point

thats a really good read. i read it and thought "damn theres nothing you could ad to that" but after reading the posts i thought of somthing.. md954 mad me think of it. your gonna power you shia up a 100 times at inconsistant heights before you really start hittin em consistant. i know i did when i was learning 1st gear powers. im on 2nd gear clutches and thats way to go, clutch that is. i always felt first you must learn 1st gear powers then move on from there. when i was learning first gears it was a month before i got em somewhat consistant then i got to the point where i was chopping in out of bp cause first gear is touchy, as stated in the orignal post. one more thing i just thought of that i don't think was mentioned, if sitting... get the fk away from your tank make your arms straight, thats somthing i just recentlly learned and is keeping my 2nds up and easier to balance. all in all good read very well done..
Old 05-12-2004, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by sixftnine
thats a really good read. i read it and thought "damn theres nothing you could ad to that" but after reading the posts i thought of somthing.. md954 mad me think of it. your gonna power you shia up a 100 times at inconsistant heights before you really start hittin em consistant. i know i did when i was learning 1st gear powers. im on 2nd gear clutches and thats way to go, clutch that is. i always felt first you must learn 1st gear powers then move on from there. when i was learning first gears it was a month before i got em somewhat consistant then i got to the point where i was chopping in out of bp cause first gear is touchy, as stated in the orignal post. one more thing i just thought of that i don't think was mentioned, if sitting... get the fk away from your tank make your arms straight, thats somthing i just recentlly learned and is keeping my 2nds up and easier to balance. all in all good read very well done..
I myself learned first gear powers first, but looking back, it was a waste of time. I spent a long time on first gear powers before i was somewhat comfortable with them. Then I started reading on stunt life, and tried clutching. After a few minutes of clutching wheelies, i was completely comfortable with clutching first gear wheelies. After learning to clutch wheelies, i was able to progress MUCH faster. Also, not everyone is able to start with first gear powers because of the bike.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:20 PM

nosfaratu is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

Thanks, That really helped

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way