View Poll Results: Learning SLOW wheelies at balance point
Started with sitting
36.36%
Started with standing
63.64%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Learning to slow down and hold balance point

Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Learning to slow down and hold balance point

I started with staggards, made it a lot easier to learn.

sit down is hard for a few reasons, it feels like you are way further back, it's harder to keep at balance point as well as side to side since your sitting and don't have as much leverage over the bike..
Also even to this day, I still 'kinda suck' at sit downs compared to any stand up stuff.. Sit downs are just plain harder

I'd learn staggards, get to where you are comfortable riding idle, then I'd try sit downs, cause at that point sit downs would be really ez to learn
Old 07-21-2010, 07:08 AM

ROSS81 is an unknown quantity at this point

i always prefered sitdowns cos i could clutch it up easier that way and staggered felt a lil strange but i clutched it up once n it got a bit sideways and the bike pancaked and my leg got crushed by my cage, ended up with a compound fracture to my shin (tib and fib) now im soo scared to clutch up a sitdown to balance point but i think it was just unlucky, i was only going about 5mph, im only trying stand ups now tho..
Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Impulse Driven

r-siixrider is a decent person

I'm still learning BP, i bring it up about 6 or 7 mph and the faster/higher you get it up and catch with the brake, I found the better/smoother you can be and the less rpm you'll have to use so your not chasin it down the road so much, its harder to balance at lower speeds but i would rather crash at slow speeds than haulin *** at 50-60 on the highway like I used to wheelie at my bike stays around 5 or 6 thousand rpm while in a wheelie and I'm only goin about 15-20mph, If I ease the throttle more while covering my brake I can get into BP and the bike drastically slows down. I'm gonna work on getting more comfortable with BP and I want to start learnin circles but I also want to order a handbrake so I can start doin seat standers and other tricks with my right foot not havin to cover the brake, right now I'm doin just staggered slow wheelies and runnin 15/50 gearing. I can't catch at idle yet but I'm workin on it, good luck man keep doin work
Old 09-06-2010, 04:21 PM
needs a gpr

gsx_r_zoom is a decent person

sitting to me is so much harder i have much less control of to which way the bikes going, let alone with the upper bolted on leaning my head out to see whats in front of me makes it harder to counter balance. staggered just feels more controllable much easier to slow it down if u do catch yourself chasing it.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 AM

krazykarhan is a decent person

Should you learn with stock gearing?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 PM

mobetta_zx10r is a decent person

I got my idle @3k or so and it won't stay up for the life of it. I catch it around 11ish. I think I was on the brake too much so I eased up a lil and it helped but it still drops. Then I got irritated caught it @ almost 12 still takin it easy on the brake ended up scrapin tail, now I need a clip on. Wonderin if I should bump the idle up a lil more?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:26 PM
road kill

azgsxrrider is a decent person

no, 3k is good.. you just gotta find that sweet spot
Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 PM

hamooodi600rr is a decent person

my freind here had reached controlling the balance point in a creazy way ,, its actully kinda funny way ,, you can add more weight at your rear seat and tie that hard so it womt move to the back or to the sides and then your bike well go easly very high then you need to cnotrol it with your brake ,,, after that you wont get scared of the wheelie hight but the balance point well be quite diffrente withut that wight behind you .. but at leadt you well get over wheelie hight fear

its a creazy idea but it worked well weth one of the guys here
Old 04-05-2011, 06:02 AM

toonies is a decent person

Hi, this thread is very helpful. But one question i do have is, when you bring it up from standstill (or close to) are you bringing it up in 2nd gear or first?

thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 04:13 PM

A2G2NV is a decent person

Here's my 2 cents. I was once in the same exact boat as you are. We all were. I had a ton of questions, and while I was getting the right answers, my squid mind couldn't fully understand how to do it. For example, If I had a quarter for every time someone told me to hit the brake, or tap the brake, I'd be rich. Here's the reality, your barely touching the brake. Look at it more like feathering the brake, as opposed to hitting the brake. My advice for practicing this, is get a QUAD. My personal recommendation is a 400ex. Definitely a 4 stroke at least. And I know someone is going to say something about money at this point, so let me address that now. If you can't afford a cheap quad, then you can't afford to thrash your bike. Seasoned stunters go through parts, so what are the odds that a newb won't? That being said, here's what I think is a perfect starting point to stunting...

1. Get a quad (wear a helmet)
2. find a nice lot (doesn't have to be very big)
3. Learn to Launch (the right way)
4. Learn to feather the brake.

Item 1 was already addressed. Item 2 is self explanatory. Item 3 needs a little clarification. Launching to me is the key to controlling a slow wheelie. If you clutch it too hard, your window of getting the brake is much smaller. Rather then snatching the bike up, learn to let the clutch out smoother, so it's not coming up as harsh. That does 2 things. It takes out the fear (when your first starting), and gives you a better window of time to FEATHER the brake.

the quad itself takes out the left and right balancing, so you can focus more on front to back. Also, much safer. The odds of flipping a quad backwards are not very good. That boosts confidence. Once you realize that you do have the ability to control the bike with the brake by experience, the sky is the limit. After you learned to control the back brake on the quad, sell it. Get your money back, and now it cost you nothing to gain very valuable experience. I hope this helped. Good luck, and ride safe!

One more thing I forgot to mention. Start from a stand still, and only use first gear. People will argue this but here's my reason. Your practicing for a slow, controlled wheelie. People who say use 2nd, is because first gear is too short. I say No way to that. You can wheelie slow in first gear forever! if not, step up your game. 2nd gear promotes a harder launch, and faster speeds. A very common problem with newbs is chasing a wheelie. That means your not high enough, and your using the throttle to try to get it back up while running out of gear. DON'T DO THAT. Your better off stopping, and trying again. Never chase as a newb.

Last edited by A2G2NV; 04-05-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:59 AM

sszgo is a decent person

so, i see 10 people asked but noone responded

STOCK GEARING

hello

if you want to bring the bike up at 10 mph - can you do it with stock gearing ???

i have -1 in the front
Old 04-16-2011, 10:18 PM

A2G2NV is a decent person

yes you can. easily.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:47 PM

twinisin is an unknown quantity at this point

and keep your hand away from the front brake, common habit among knee draggers
Old 08-27-2011, 04:05 PM

Str8JDM is a decent person

what rpm is a good rpm to clutch it up at in stock gearing? i was trying at like 6-7k the other day on my f4i and it wasnt doing anything, lol.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 PM

stuntagabe4690 is a decent person

Idle at BP and feathering is the art u need handbrake is nice to go above and beyond
Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 PM

kiamo is a decent person

wow, so much helpful info on this forum! I've always been trying wheelies seated but never managed to hold a BP. I am definitely going to try staggered tonight. First at 3k revs, then 4k etc. Work it up until it feels very comfortable. I hadn't considered adjusting idle at all (will get on that pronto), just been teaching myself and trying to work out these thing alone... don't have anyone to ride with out here in china :/