Fork setups...Enough already!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 03:29 PM

DEBO is a decent person
Re: Fork setups...Enough already!!!

Chin was rolling pretty far on his stocker.. He might be able to offer some insight....
Old 08-01-2006, 03:36 PM
hate practitioner

-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough

lets ask ryan cramer
Old 08-01-2006, 03:38 PM

Matt Gorka is a decent person

Length of fork, from stem bolt to the center of the axle while on the front wheel is also a factor. If you're on a f4i front end and it fully compresses, it could be really short and account for the nasty tank slappers. A 954 front might not compress much compared to the f4i, thus giving it the added stability. There are several factors, initial rake/trail/fork length and the length of the fork compressed while it is on the front wheel supporting all the weight. Once these are determined, there is no reason the stock forks wouldn't give the same feel as the inverted setups. If a f4i's forks are a full 2 inches shorter than a 954 while on the front wheel, it would explain the super-aggressive front geometry and the lack of overall stability.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:43 PM

MannyFresh954 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by Matt Gorka
I would love to see 2 bikes, side by side. One with 954 setup, one with a stock front end and take measurements and duplicate it on the stock setup...
Same spring rates. Same rake/trail. Same fork length. I think this is a job for Race Tech. This needs to be settled once and for all. Swapping out the front end doesn't affect the weight balance of the bike. The motor is still in the same place, etc. It's all to do with the goemetry of the front end that enables it to hook up better, and the spring rates give it the sturdy feel. There is nothing so far that leads me to believe that it can't be replicated with the stockers.
if you put an f4i with a 954 front end on it next to a stock f4i, the one with the 954 front end will sit higher in the front....it makes them higher/taller in the front, so you have to lower them about 1-2inches in the front.....
Old 08-01-2006, 03:45 PM
J Blox

frayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura about

I've rode quite a few diff bikes. And just bought a F4i with a 929 front end on it last month. Im not king kong stoppie man, but i've notice just from hard accel to braking when i first jumped on it it wanted to buck me up into a stoppie. Might be the way the fork is setup to the bikes center of gravity. but **** what do i know
Old 08-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Came back-it's still wack

TongWoo will become famous soon enough

I took my front end (Stock F4i) ran 1.0 Race tech springs, 15 weight oil (2 steps heavier), had a certified suspension tech guy revalve the forks for a slower rebound to reduce pogo, and I dropped the forks down in the triples a bit. My front end feels great right now, Real smooth and solid without pogo-ing. The Stock lower triple could be less flexy, but whateva... I like my setup now.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM
hate practitioner

-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough

u dont know **** justin
Old 08-01-2006, 04:12 PM

Matt Gorka is a decent person

Originally Posted by MannyFresh954
if you put an f4i with a 954 front end on it next to a stock f4i, the one with the 954 front end will sit higher in the front....it makes them higher/taller in the front, so you have to lower them about 1-2inches in the front.....

That would explain why it's more stable. So, what I'm seeing is the stock front end sags too much and the tubes compress into the forks causing a much more radical front end than the 954 setup. Plus, it's mushy and that would explain the pogo and tankslaps.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
www.myspace.com/emrock

Emrock is a decent person

Originally Posted by MannyFresh954
i never lowered mine and it was fine
Old 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM

DEBO is a decent person

Close Thread
Old 08-01-2006, 04:18 PM
u of m still sux

Ryan Cramer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by -Nasty-
lets ask ryan cramer

i have no idea how to set up forks, i just left them alone

stock gixxer 600's felt different from my old 1000 but i could still hit 800, my big thing was allways using 2 steering dampers

more of a head game i think
Old 08-01-2006, 04:19 PM
www.myspace.com/emrock

Emrock is a decent person

Originally Posted by Ryan Cramer
i

Old 08-01-2006, 04:21 PM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ryan Cramer
i have no idea how to set up forks, i just left them alone

stock gixxer 600's felt different from my old 1000 but i could still hit 800, my big thing was allways using 2 steering dampers

most of us can't afford two dampers

Johnny seals had two for awhile I think.....and he had to handmake the bracket to put the one on the from of the forks!

Neither the 600RR I already have, nor the 1000RR I'm wanting to get have set-ups already made to be able to mount dampers to the front of the forks and only to the top of the triple clamps!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Guru

Joe Brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matt Gorka
Joe, your assignment is to get some springs done up in a f4i and mess with the forks to see what works since you're probably the ideal candidate for this test.
i think ill pass.. im not going to cake myself for that one... now are we talking stock clipons here on the f4i.. cause db bars dont count in this discussion.. the reason is they give you added stability in stoppies ... so stock like i said f4i sux... put db bars on and you totally eliminate the chance for tank slappers...
matt i think there are many problems with the stock f4i front end... clipon position head tube and triple rake width of the triples and bars and the forks are complete garbage..and the brakes and front master cylinder are a joke.. the f4i isnt even a good bike for stoppies even with a 929 front end...
Old 08-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TongWoo
I took my front end (Stock F4i) ran 1.0 Race tech springs, 15 weight oil (2 steps heavier), had a certified suspension tech guy revalve the forks for a slower rebound to reduce pogo, and I dropped the forks down in the triples a bit. My front end feels great right now, Real smooth and solid without pogo-ing. The Stock lower triple could be less flexy, but whateva... I like my setup now.
How much did that run you?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:44 PM

f4stunna is a decent person

now another questions (and this was touched on by teach)... i ride an 04 600rr now (non-radial) and the difference between my old F4 and this is night and day. i think its mostly to do with the brakes being better but i just bearly touch the thing and its at balance.

and to what cramer said, i was trying em without a damper and then i went out and bought one, and i dont notice a difference at all. now, i dont have the steering stopper gpr, but i do have one.

all in all, i think it all comes down to how quickly you can get it to balance and the motion it takes traveling there. also, body position is HUGE. my stoppies have been gettin better lately and it is all because of body position (locking your arms, head up, that type of ****)...
Old 08-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Guru

Joe Brown is an unknown quantity at this point

rember these days matt...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kawi8scrape.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	176863   Click image for larger version

Name:	matt.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	176864  
Old 08-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I Love To Post!

motopsyko32 will become famous soon enough

holy oldschool batman!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:16 PM

#1legspreader is an unknown quantity at this point

this thread is awesome!

i hope matt gorka is doing this homework to finsh the instructional stoppie vids...... i'm just kinda waiting for those DVD's to come out before i try any LONG stoppies!!! if you do everything they say in the advanced wheelie vid you'll learn 12's without dumping your bike..(thank you for that one, matt, and kyle)

please have , joe b, jason b, and alex flores as special guests in your stoppie vid
Old 08-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Stuntone0one
the lower the front of the ibke, the more weight there is on the front tire, and thus the harder it is to lock-up.

smae with lower clips-ons, the more weight you put over the front, the less likely to lock-up.
Ever wonder why Schwartz likes my F4i for stoppies over other identical F4i's?

Quick Reply: Fork setups...Enough already!!!