learn 12s the easist way???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 11:52 AM
Regular StuntLifer

BTB Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by poppawheelie
I think it's just hard....
And all of the sudden one day u get it. And then u can't figure out why you fell off so many times.....
Aint that the truth! I never though I would figure them out, now it's "Why the **** did it take so long? This **** is easy!" Steep learning curve on 12's.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:24 PM

SmurfKilla is an unknown quantity at this point
All joking aside, Are most of you guyz clutching it up real quick in 1st gear to get it up quick ???
I can clutch up my 1k in 1st no problem. Every 12 I have seen on vids it appears that the clutch is used.
Of course my 1k will come up in 1st without the clutch but i find that I am going to fast to even attempt a 12........
Thoughts??? Opinions ???? Advice ????

Cheers
SK
Old 04-30-2003, 03:37 PM

infamy is an unknown quantity at this point
btbmatt , if you have a round contact piece(peice of pipe), you dont hav to worry about the angle.

SMURFKILLA , my gsxr1000 is geared down and i can lift it straight up in 1st at like 4mph with no clutch without gaining much speed at all. try doing it standing and give it a little bounce so it'll come up at a lower rpm.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:42 PM

Hey Infamy, what kind of gearing u running ???
I am 1 down and 2 up, but it doesnt seem like it is enough...to bring it up at 4mph......
Holla back.....
Cheers
SK
Old 04-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Regular StuntLifer

BTB Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by infamy
btbmatt , if you have a round contact piece(peice of pipe), you dont hav to worry about the angle.
Ahhh yeah, good call didnt even think about that.

I can power mine up from damn near a stand still but use the clutch to get it up quick and predictable.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:05 PM

slickjdub is an unknown quantity at this point
120clock's

To those who do 12's dose 2 down in the front and 3 up in the rear sound OK I think it's to jerky in 1st but I have been doing them in 2nd and geting to 11:45 and can go all the way but get scared and wobbley as hell some times,is that why beacuse 2nd gear?would frist be better for me to use ?
Should I renforce my sub frameI heard they are kinda weak and dont want to brake it like Joe Brown did ? for a gixxer 750 that would help for ya to know !!!!!
thanks....

Last edited by slickjdub; 04-30-2003 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:24 PM

infamy is an unknown quantity at this point
SMURFKILLA, im running 2 down and 5 up. i like this combo cuz i can still keep the stock chain. i try and keep my bike street legal cuz i do alot of riding , and with this setup i can still do freeway speeds , i think it tops out at like 130. but its hard to say since the speedo is off. cruises fine at 80mph in 6th at like 6,000rpm.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:28 PM

Hey Infamy

2 down and 5 up ?? Man that is some serious stunter gearing for the 1K. I do like the fact that you keep the stock chain but damn that bike must jump up in neutral....
Does anyone know what is the max sprocket size I can go up in the back with 1 down in the front yet keep the stock chain??
Cheers
SK
Old 05-02-2003, 11:30 PM

yeah

like a 1 down front and 47 rear to keep the stock chain !!!
Old 05-04-2003, 02:57 PM

phatboy is an unknown quantity at this point
i just learned to scrape and i am geared one down in front.the easiest way for me is to just keep your throttle steady and adjust your hight with the brake it won't be so jerky.i was a little worried about bustin **** up to but it is the price you gotta pay(havent biffed yet)knock on wood
Old 05-04-2003, 05:36 PM

Chris SSB is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hey Infamy

Originally posted by SmurfKilla
Does anyone know what is the max sprocket size I can go up in the back with 1 down in the front yet keep the stock chain??
Cheers
SK
I think 3 up is about all you will be able to go up and keep the chain.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:51 PM

Phat boy

Are you doing them in frist gear ???
I am 2 down and 3 up and it seems to jerky to me ,any more tips would be nice
Thanks.....
Old 05-04-2003, 08:51 PM

unknownfewRR is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

i can slap the tail of my bike to the ground but want a wheelie bar for tricks.whats all this stuff i hear about hitting wrong and tweekin sideways if you got a bar on the back? is it all just the way you lay the bar to the ground?
Old 05-04-2003, 09:58 PM

unknow RR

you can make your own 12 bar or buy one eather one works good freestyle inguenity makes them too >>>>>>>>
Old 05-06-2003, 07:55 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Jay Carnes will become famous soon enough
Re: 120clock's

Originally posted by slickjdub
To those who do 12's dose 2 down in the front and 3 up in the rear sound OK I think it's to jerky in 1st but I have been doing them in 2nd and geting to 11:45 and can go all the way but get scared and wobbley as hell some times,is that why beacuse 2nd gear?would frist be better for me to use ?
Should I renforce my sub frameI heard they are kinda weak and dont want to brake it like Joe Brown did ? for a gixxer 750 that would help for ya to know !!!!!
thanks....
****! your tryin' to learn to scrape in 2nd? CAREFUL!! Learn throttle control & brake control in 1st to ease it back onto the tail. I learned 12's w/ NO bar on. Just put it up, and eased it back on the brake till I heard that wonderfull sound of plastic grinding down the street. Once i could hit the regular tail, i PUt one of hte freestlye ingenuity bars on & drag tail for days.

Brake control, Brake control, Brake control, Brake control, Brake control, Brake control, Brake control, Brake control, Brake control, Brake control, Brake control, Brake control,

Did i mention learn brake control BEFORE you try to tap tail?
Old 05-06-2003, 08:47 PM

Thanks 10000

Ya I need to practice lots and dont get me wrong I have and will do some more belive me !!!!!
dam they just take so much talent to do I can bust every trick in the book so far but those.
so you think frist gear then hu???
I will do that .
do you keep puressure on the brake before you bring it up or when you get passed the point ?????
any other good tips would be good thanks for your time man...

Oh bye the way I see that you have the Cage how dose it hold up I ordred one for my bike ????
Old 05-08-2003, 01:17 AM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough
There is no need for a bar unless you are doing on the bar tricks, or u want to park your **** and leave it standing or by some strange chance you get good enough to put your foot in it and do circles and no handers

learning to 12 with a 10 inch bar is garbage

drop your tire to 15 psi, put your foot on the back brake, grow some ***** and pop a clutch

ant mist, Nick Hill, and Skillz (gil) are some of the best riders around and yall act like they are stupid for saying dont use a bar
Old 05-08-2003, 09:24 AM

phatboy is an unknown quantity at this point
the plastic has more give to it it dosen't just grab like a bar would. i would rather scrape plastic than scrape bar it sounds alot cooler. and first gear is the way to go to scrape. if you think your gonna go over just hit the rear brake it will bring you back. but always check your brakes before you try to scrape make shure they work.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:54 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Jay Carnes will become famous soon enough
Re: Thanks 10000

Originally posted by slickjdub
Ya I need to practice lots and dont get me wrong I have and will do some more belive me !!!!!
dam they just take so much talent to do I can bust every trick in the book so far but those.
so you think frist gear then hu???
I will do that .
do you keep puressure on the brake before you bring it up or when you get passed the point ?????
any other good tips would be good thanks for your time man...

Oh bye the way I see that you have the Cage how dose it hold up I ordred one for my bike ????
everyone rides brake different. I ALWAYS ride w/ a drag on the rear brake - it makes me feel better. I actually stand the bike up w/ the brake on a little. Like Thomas said - you just gotta bang the bike up & get on the brake. U'll get the feel of it.

The cage rocks. I crashed 2 nights ago pretty hard & no broken covers. The bike fliped over on both sides. Broke 2 bolts on the cage but didn't brake a cover. Paid for itself that one time if you ask me. Broke a rear set though..

I did learn 12's With OUT a bar. Good for a few reasons. One being you KNOW you went all the way back when you hit tail. 2. Being that if you have a bar on, come back crooked which happens some times, hit a corner of the bar - its gonna send you for a serious ride. Where as if you hit the tail crooked, ur ok. My advice, would be to learn w/ out a bar. If you want to do bar tricks, then weld one up after.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 05-19-2003, 05:28 PM

usmc-recon is an unknown quantity at this point
There is no need for a bar unless you are doing on the bar tricks, or u want to park your **** and leave it standing or by some strange chance you get good enough to put your foot in it and do circles and no handers

learning to 12 with a 10 inch bar is garbage

He's right ya know. I do have a bar on, but its for bar tricks, not for learning 12's. I learned that w/out a bar, but with a cage, and thats what I recommend people to learn with, but after you have your 12's down, a bar is just the next step.

Quick Reply: learn 12s the easist way???