Another F4i vs 636 Question Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 AM

DriftyStuff is a decent person
Another F4i vs 636 Question Thread

Ello all,

First lemme start by saying I've done extensive research into getting my first stunt bike. Most google searches lead me here. c: But there are a few details that I'm not finding on the interwebs.

So, I definitely understand that F4i has the strength of a Gundam and is perfect for new stunters and the 636 is overall a much better bike but seems more delicate. But most threads saying such are very old. All the F4i's I'm finding are in the 35-50 thousand mile ranch and considering they stopped in 06, the newest one I can possibly find is 8 years old. Now I'm fully confident the frame is just as tanky as it was in it's golden days, but for something I want to stunt AND ride to work daily, an 8 year old high milage bike doesn't seem like the best choice. I can buy a brand new 636. Is the 636 really such a bad bike in terms of durability? Keep in mind I won't try anything until either bike is fully caged, it seems like the reverse is true in 2014, where the cost and availability of parts make the 636 a better choice for a beginner. It seems like more of a pain in the *** in maintenance, replacement parts, and body trim to even keep an 8 year old F4i alive these days let alone stunt.

Is it still a good buy? Is a fully caged newishernesskinda 636 still super delicate at low speed stunts? And for recent buyers, how much in parts and how hard to find them? I can't possibly fathom F4i specific parts are super easy to find these days. (And on a side note, I think the F4i looks like a fat guy halfway through his Atkins diet if it isn't stripped)

Last edited by DriftyStuff; 09-30-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 AM

Jordan67 is a decent person
Re: Another F4i vs 636 Question Thread

i finished setting up one of my f4i's for stunting this summer parts are still supper easy to find. since its an older bike lots of people have already given them to people that salvage bikes so if you brake something you can pick it up cheap. i broke a front master cylinder for my f4i stunting it before i got my cage picked it up from a local bike shop for 60 bucks vs the 400 bucks honda wanted for the part. I've always wanted a 636 i'm sure parts for that are easy to find as well.

the thing about honda is that they have a tendancy to recycle parts so things like their brakes and parts like that can be pulled off some of their other bikes so you don't nessesarily need to take it off an f4i. my master came from an f4.

the thing that sold me on the f4 was how bullet proof the motor is. my motor is at 87,000km right now and still running strong so i've got no complaints.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:39 PM

So really as long as your sourceful it's not a problem then. 400! That's like a 1/4 of the cost of the bike now geeze. So it's a bit of a mutt with a bunch of parts from a bunch of F series?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:11 AM

Larse is a decent person

Originally Posted by DriftyStuff
So really as long as your sourceful it's not a problem then. 400! That's like a 1/4 of the cost of the bike now geeze. So it's a bit of a mutt with a bunch of parts from a bunch of F series?
The front master has been the same since cbr f2 i think, f4/f4i/929/954/03-04 60rr has the same front calipers (slightly different piston sizes between the models tho), most honda forks fit straight up between different models and so on.
Every OEM part is expensive to buy, you don't want to know how much fairings can cost...

Get a bike that you think looks good and feels nice riding. If you want a 636 then get one, crash it, fix it then continue riding it. Same if you get an f4i, r6, 675 or whatever
Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 PM

@Larse
Thanks man that's helpful. It's good to see the F4i is such a mutt of a bike. Yeah I heard OEM is stupid over priced. No different from the car world I guess. @_@ The 636 is more available in my area but the F4i is cheaper. I guess I'll have to test both.