newb question about clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 PM

rookie616 is a decent person
newb question about clutch

I've never been able to figure out how a bike doesnt stall out if, say, youre doing circle wheelies and you dump the bike. every stunt bike ive seen just idles and the rear wheel keeps spinning slowly. how does the bike not stall out with the rider off the bike??
Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 AM
handicrippled

swampy is a decent person
Re: newb question about clutch

Originally Posted by rookie616
I've never been able to figure out how a bike doesnt stall out if, say, youre doing circle wheelies and you dump the bike. every stunt bike ive seen just idles and the rear wheel keeps spinning slowly. how does the bike not stall out with the rider off the bike??

honestly you shouldnt be riding a bike if you dont understand how this happens ...you pretty much answer your own question ...it doesnt stall out because your idle is providing gas to the motor which keeps the bike running which if its in gear the rear wheel keeps spinning...just the same as when you let go of the handle bars while riding and it doesnt stall out
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM

snowzzr600 is a decent person

damn bro dont be so harsh on the newb. the reason it stays running is cuz 99% of people you see stuntin have the idle turned up. instead of it being set at like 1k they jacked it up to like 2500-3500. so there for when its dropped the bike is still getting what it feels is pull on the throtle.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:11 PM

SoCal_gixxer is a decent person

I think he's talking about when they crash and the bike is still running. They bypass the tip sensor. It's the sensor that shuts off the bike when you lay it over.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:59 AM

rookie616 is a decent person

thanks for the responses, so its bc the idles turned way up. i hear the f4i's and 636's pull pretty hard at idle once its turned up a bit
Old 07-19-2012, 04:52 AM
handicrippled

swampy is a decent person

Originally Posted by snowzzr600
damn bro dont be so harsh on the newb. the reason it stays running is cuz 99% of people you see stuntin have the idle turned up. instead of it being set at like 1k they jacked it up to like 2500-3500. so there for when its dropped the bike is still getting what it feels is pull on the throtle.
i didnt think i was being harsh....to me its kinda common sense with this one...plus most bikes if i remember right usually have the idle set more around 1500 rpm...cant remember cuz its been awhile since ive had a bike set at the normal idle either way even at the lower rpm if the rear wheel isnt touching anything it will still spin

Originally Posted by SoCal_gixxer
I think he's talking about when they crash and the bike is still running. They bypass the tip sensor. It's the sensor that shuts off the bike when you lay it over.
+1 i forgot to mention this tid bit but yes this is also true..

as far as idle pull all bikes pull at high idle some more then others...just like some have a more consistant pull from stalls, etc... then others..

no matter what to me stuff like this is things that shouldnt be hard thing to figure out. if your going to ride a bike or drive a car you should at least know the basics but i guess thats just my