single caliper handbrake setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 AM

yamahammer01 is a decent person
single caliper handbrake setup?

like the pretty cheap ones off of the stunt factory. they tie into your rear master. are they worth buying or are they garb?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Mikey P. Freestyle

crew72 is a decent person
Re: single caliper handbrake setup?

Ive used both single and dual. They both work pretty good and equally to a piont, I thought. Two problems I had with the single is (1) you either use the foot or the hand brake, no being able to use both for at the same time for one will push the other. (So if you are using the hand brake and hit the foot brake it will push the handbrake out).... (2) I went through brake pads all the time.....>> Now the dual you have alot more braking and can use either foot or hand and no interfearance and I havent went through any brake pads yet. I love the dual cal but it took me a while to get used to it for it does seem to grab brake harder. Plus I think the master plays a role too. I was using a gsxr master and switched to a Magure and the Magure is super easy to pull in so it takes very little effort to brake.

Just my exp......
Old 11-17-2010, 12:47 PM
The Reverend Freestyle

!!A2K!! will become famous soon enough

you have to pump singles back and forth between the handbrake and foot
Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by !!A2K!!
If there is no air in the system, there is no pump up!

I've had a junction valve on my f4i for 3 years now, never had to pump it up when switching. I all the time go from using the foot brake, to the hand brake, back down to the foot, zero pump up
Old 11-17-2010, 04:10 PM
FYF

motopsycho231 is a decent person

**** junction valves. HOHEY FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:16 PM

peterandrewgraf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by motopsycho231
**** junction valves. HOHEY FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

WORD SON!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Naarden Bike Super Store

NAARDEN INC is a decent person

Ive never like the fact that if you kick off your reservoir or boil your brakes you have no rear brake. Separating the two brake systems is way better imo. and the reality of it is, you will eventually so just bite the bullet and spend the extra 100$ and be done with it cause youll never resell the junction valve
Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 PM

thanks for the input, how cheap can i get a dual cal setup...it will be on a 95 f3
Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Your bleeding skills are weak!

Single or dual caliper doesnt matter that much (unless you suck at brake bleeding lol) What really matters is your handbrake master and caliper.

Originally Posted by crew72
Ive used both single and dual. They both work pretty good and equally to a piont, I thought. Two problems I had with the single is (1) you either use the foot or the hand brake, no being able to use both for at the same time for one will push the other. (So if you are using the hand brake and hit the foot brake it will push the handbrake out).... (2) I went through brake pads all the time.....>> Now the dual you have alot more braking and can use either foot or hand and no interfearance and I havent went through any brake pads yet. I love the dual cal but it took me a while to get used to it for it does seem to grab brake harder. Plus I think the master plays a role too. I was using a gsxr master and switched to a Magure and the Magure is super easy to pull in so it takes very little effort to brake.

Just my exp......
Ive always wondered, and you seem like a good guy to ask.. When do you use both hand and foot brakes at the same time?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 PM
The Reverend Freestyle

!!A2K!! will become famous soon enough

no i dont suck at bleeding! I had 2 diffrent systems idk how many times i bled em and still had the pump in em. I know tons of people that had this prob! bottom line get a dual cal. and **** on you guys lol
Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 PM

zombiearrrjay is a decent person

Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on the single caliper set up man. My first hand break set up was the single caliper adapter kit and it was so weak that i couldn't even kill the bike while it was rolling on idle ( i had a crappy master too).

And now im running that same crappy master with a dual piston hand break caliper on a hohey bracket and it changed my life.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:48 AM

and those are available for a bike as old as an f3?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 AM

erkeene is a decent person

Yup junction valves suck big DICK I wouldn't waste ur money jus buy a dual cal bracket right away it'll be cheaper in the long run. dual quad is the ****.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 PM

peterandrewgraf is an unknown quantity at this point

junction valve is total crap, but if you end up wanting one... i'll sell you the one that's been in my tool box for the past year, haha
Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Junction valve really isn't that bad, just people use **** master cylinders and expect them to work boss on a single piston caliper.

They certainly aren't the boss setup, but they aren't that bad. With a quality master cylinder, they work great.

And hell i'd be willing to bet with a 4 piston caliper linked to the foot and hand brake through a junction valve, you'd have perfect braking. But I've never tried it

edit: I got a STEAL of a deal on mine tho, so I didn't even think twice about it. Spent $25 on the adapter, $40 on a line, and got a hell of a deal on a 1000rr master for $50
Old 11-18-2010, 11:20 PM

the ones on the "the stunt factoy" say they come with a brembo master and theyre only like a buck twenty. i just wasnt sure if anybody had a dual cal. adapter for an f3.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:55 AM
life is good......BRAAAP!

-nelson will become famous soon enough

Ive been using a junction valve for a couple yrs with a 636 master, works great. I can rock seatstander circles for as long as want 20+ circles with no issues. I keep the idle pretty low though. It does suck on the pads, they wear quickly, and once it gets too hot, it begins to lose pressure and fade. I did try a friends 4 piston caliper hb setup, after getting used to it, it does seem like the way to go, Im going to get a 4 piston setup over the winter, but a junction valve setup works fine for learning and getting different circles etc. on lock.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:00 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

no i dont suck at bleeding! I had 2 diffrent systems idk how many times i bled em and still had the pump in em. I know tons of people that had this prob! bottom line get a dual cal. and **** on you guys lol
did you unbolt the rear master and tilt it back to free the air bubble the gets trapped in the inlet?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:05 AM
bp chaser

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Junction valve really isn't that bad, just people use **** master cylinders and expect them to work boss on a single piston caliper.

They certainly aren't the boss setup, but they aren't that bad. With a quality master cylinder, they work great.

And hell i'd be willing to bet with a 4 piston caliper linked to the foot and hand brake through a junction valve, you'd have perfect braking. But I've never tried it
Thats what I have (with a brembo 16x18) and its nothing less than awesome. Thats why I like to give people **** for hating on single calipers.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Mikey P. Freestyle

crew72 is a decent person

Originally Posted by MikeM
Thats what I have (with a brembo 16x18) and its nothing less than awesome. Thats why I like to give people **** for hating on single calipers.
Notice with his single cal setup his high chair is only about a foot of the ground. Well because they suck and he is afraid it won't grab good enough. Dual cal you would just pop the fucken bike up and use the hand brake like it was supposedto be. oh i also see he has a ton of posts but then asks well i always wondered when ya use both hand and foot brakes. R U serious do you even ride. WTF? I do it all the time when switching from one trick to another. ( like from a no handed circle to a seet sander one handed circle, you may press them both inbeteren) I'm not sure maybe I don't ride

Quick Reply: single caliper handbrake setup?