04 yz250f motor help PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 PM
lets ****in ride!!!

clutchitup21 is a decent person
04 yz250f motor help PLEASE!

ok i traded my f3 a few days ago for this bike...the guy said he didn't know much about it except that it had some wiseco engine parts put in the motor..just piston and stuff like that... well the bike runs like a champ, carbs need a cleaning but still runs fine...the only other thing is the cam chain is a little noisy just have not adjusted it yet.....
so here is my problem...
went and pulled the bike out and put fresh gas in it from being nearly empty...it started first kick like alway, i usually have to keep giving it gas till it warms up a little so it dont die.. well it ran fine for about five seconds then made a click noise then died.. didnt bogg then die, sounded like something forcefully stopped the motor from turning...so when i went to kick it again it caught tdc then would not kick down... i immediately thought the motor locked up...i tried to put it in gear and push the bike to see if it would turn the motor, well it did in 3rd...then the kick start would move again, so i kicked it and it fired up and did the exact same thing.........
i know it could be a number of things but i didnt know if there was something i could do before i take the motor apart.... anyone had this happen?
thanks a bunch for any help
Old 04-09-2010, 01:03 PM

budweezy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 04 yz250f motor help PLEASE!

What I've seen of those in the past is the valve(s) would get stuck, hit the piston, then stop the motor. I just rebuilt one of those motors a couple weeks ago with a bent intake valve from it getting stuck and hitting the piston. It's VERY easy to pull the head off and take a look.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

That's a race bike. They MUST Have their oil changed every 3-7 hours of operation, they MUST always have a 100% clean and lubed air filter.

Even with regular oil changes and clean air filter, they still can go through a top end in 20-50 hours

If the carb needs cleaned or jetted, you MUST jet it properly! If it wont run well when cold, then the pilot jet is too small, or is clogged. That is causing it to be lean and will just work to damage the motor faster.

Also you must check valve adjustment. If your valves are far out they MUST be properly adjusted. If they go out of adjustment again fast, then the head is ready to be rebuilt. If you ignore the warning signs that these motors need rebuilt, it WILL Blow up, and will need a complete rebuild which will cost $2000+ at a shop... or aorund $1200+ doing it yourself!

I'd suggest signing up at www.thumpertalk.com and doing some research. The bike you have is way different then a trail bike. It's not like the old 4 strokes. Todays modern 4 stroke race bikes cost more to maintain then a 2 stroke.

Last edited by Towlieee; 04-09-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 PM
lets ****in ride!!!

clutchitup21 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee
That's a race bike. They MUST Have their oil changed every 3-7 hours of operation, they MUST always have a 100% clean and lubed air filter.

Even with regular oil changes and clean air filter, they still can go through a top end in 20-50 hours

If the carb needs cleaned or jetted, you MUST jet it properly! If it wont run well when cold, then the pilot jet is too small, or is clogged. That is causing it to be lean and will just work to damage the motor faster.

Also you must check valve adjustment. If your valves are far out they MUST be properly adjusted. If they go out of adjustment again fast, then the head is ready to be rebuilt. If you ignore the warning signs that these motors need rebuilt, it WILL Blow up, and will need a complete rebuild which will cost $2000+ at a shop... or aorund $1200+ doing it yourself!

I'd suggest signing up at www.thumpertalk.com and doing some research. The bike you have is way different then a trail bike. It's not like the old 4 strokes. Todays modern 4 stroke race bikes cost more to maintain then a 2 stroke.

thanks for the info... i joined thumpertalk and got alot of good info..
luckily i found the problem before it turned into a major problem...
the crank must have been pressed too hard or something cuz the rod is being squeezed by the crank....
well i found a new wiseco complete bottom end with crank, rod,all bearings, seals and gaskets for $178.. and the top end is only $100....
so soon my bike will be back together and ready to ride..... i will deff keep up with maintaining the bike cuz its a really nice bike
here is a pic of it before i took it apart..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2852.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	238536   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2853.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	238537   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2854.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	238538  

Last edited by clutchitup21; 04-12-2010 at 11:25 PM.