F4i clutch arm mod... weld-less version.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 AM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point
F4i clutch arm mod... weld-less version.

So... I can't weld and my guy lives a lil far to haul my engine down to him while i have it apart... so I figured out a way to do it the ghetto way.

Grind out the rivet that holds the swivel/cable connector on the end of the stock arm and drill one more hole about half way down the arm.
Name:  garage053.jpg
Views: 2081
Size:  76.5 KB

Get a piece of flat steel and cut it to size... I did about 5/8 - 3/4 extra length...
Name:  garage054.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  78.9 KB

Mark and drill out the two matching holes to bolt up to the arm... then a 3rd hole on the end for the cable connector.

Name:  garage063.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  70.9 KB

I used 6mm grade 12.9 bolts and made the holes just a tad small so the bolts actually screwed them selves into the arm... the nut on the bottom is just for safe measure.

Name:  garage061.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  43.7 KB
Old 03-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Yut-ugh.

nickalltogether is a decent person
Re: F4i clutch arm mod... weld-less version.

looks nice, and smart thinking; i can relate because I can't weld **** either haha.

What is the purpose of this mod?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 AM
kj

Red locktite on the nuts as well just to be sure... and I kept the cable connector/swivel loose as it comes stock.

I was actually going to jb weld the threads at 1st but the bolt fit so damn tight that I know they're not going anywhere... as I said they're threaded into both the steel and oem arm. I really didn't even "need" the bottom nuts.

A day or so when I get my bike all back together I'll post up results on difference in clutch feeling.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 AM

stuntman29 is a decent person

how effective was your additional 3/4 of an inch for easyness of clutch pull....also how much did it add to the length of the pull?

nice right up!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:04 AM
kj

Originally Posted by nickalltogether
What is the purpose of this mod?
Easier clutch pull due to increased leverage.

Another plus about this mod is I can easily go back to stock if I don't end up liking the way it feels.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Yut-ugh.

nickalltogether is a decent person

Originally Posted by kj
Easier clutch pull.
werd. might be worth looking into for me.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 AM
kj

Cost about 4 bucks for all the parts at Lowes....
Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 AM
kj

OMR....

What-cha think man?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 AM

Nine54f4i is a decent person

You would be surprised what such a small amount of leverage would do on the clutch arm.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 AM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

NICE! ,but I thought on f4i's you could onld go 1/2 inch or else you have clearance issues .Once I hear your results Im gonig to set mine up the same
Old 03-13-2008, 02:12 AM

Righteous 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRighteous 1 has a spectacular aura about

Way to use your melon, bro! Good thinkin.....looks solid.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:15 AM

Righteous 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRighteous 1 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by *Tanus*
NICE! ,but I thought on f4i's you could onld go 1/2 inch or else you have clearance issues .Once I hear your results Im gonig to set mine up the same
Only have clearance issues if you have to remove the cover and arm. Since the "KJ extension" doesn't require disassembly.....you can go longer.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:32 AM

N*A*M is an unknown quantity at this point

hope that clears the frame!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 AM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

nice kj i would do your mod by my clutch is butter, so why me with it ya know! pimp thinkin though and id have to weld mine cuz i can lay dem dimepiece welds :YEAH
Old 03-13-2008, 03:43 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by kj
OMR....

What-cha think man?
as long as it clears the case and you change the angle of your cable so it doesn't chafe then i think your gonna love it ...

i added about 3/4 of an inch to mine and it's better then any easy pull clutch lever on the market if you ask me...
Old 03-13-2008, 04:51 AM

Jt321 is an unknown quantity at this point

can you do this mode + ez pull lever? Will that be too much?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:00 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Jt321
can you do this mode + ez pull lever? Will that be too much?
why would you want to ,all ez pull levers are junk this mod does what the easy pull does and it will never break
Old 03-13-2008, 07:00 AM
kj

Originally Posted by N*A*M
hope that clears the frame!
I got the frame on last night and no issues.

Only issue I see so far is if I want to remove the clutch arm from the case I will have to disassemble one of the pivot screws.

Other than that... there's clearance front, back and side to side.

Originally Posted by old man roger
why would you want to ,all ez pull levers are junk this mod does what the easy pull does and it will never break
+1
I don't trust the crappy moose I've been running for a couple yrs now... I wanted to run a nice ASV for years but the stock pull was killin my arms.

I'll find out today how much this helps. Credit to OMR for the original extention idea that involved the welding.... I just took it to a more obtainable level for alot of us w/ no welding skills.

The only downside I see to this mod is that you really need to take the frame off to get a drill onto the clutch arm in the right spot.... Unless you have a small right angle drill attachment for a dremmel or something of that sort.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:39 PM
also known as OMR

on the f4i you can just pull the clutch cover off and then the arm slides right out...

on the 636 you don't have to take any thing off except the clutch cable then the arm slides right out with a 1/4 turn to the left
Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by old man roger
Unless you use his method, of bolting it on, you can ONLY go 1/2" longer on f4i and not a MILIMETER longer (mine is exactly 1/2" and to put my clutch cover on, I have to pry the arm past the case, AND pry it past the frame)

Mine is welded however... And the ONLY way to go longer wtih my setup, would be to drop the motor (no way I'm doing that considering I"ve had my clutch cover off 3 times in the last month)

So I run 1/2" longer, + a MSR ez pull, and I have SUPA BUTTA PULL! :YEAH :YEAH

Just a MSR and my finger is strained in 10 minutes and I can no longer work the clutch in circle..
Just the clutch mod, and my finger is strained in 10 minutes..
BOTH mods, and I've never fatigued yet! Even after a 2 hour session the other day...

edit: for anyone wondering, you can do this mod to MANY bikes... And some bikes your just FUCKED.. 99-02 r6 your fucked no way to mod it, 600rr your fucked no way to mod it (at least my friends, I think its a 04?)

But you can mod the arm on 636, f4i, raptor 660, 150f, 100f, yfz450, 450r honda.. All vehicals i've modded the arm on, or am going to soon for friends

edit: now that I look at KJ's bolt setup, I think I might go that route with my friends bike..
He already has a MSR, but imma try making his arm like 3/4" longer, that way he wont have to run a ez pull

Last edited by Towlieee; 03-13-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: F4i clutch arm mod... weld-less version.