Fuel Pump wont stop running!

Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 AM
www.nwstunt.com

tdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel Pump wont stop running!

Well, I got this 02' gsxr 600 from a buddy. It seems to have a problem when you turn the key on the fuel pump constantly runs (eventually filling into the air box).

What I have done so far:

New wiring harness, I thought it might be because the one on the bike was all sorts of haggard (guy can't wire to save the life of him)

Tip over sensor - bypassed

Fuel relay - checked, and replaced for good measure

Checked voltage all over the place, it seems that the ECU is sending constant voltage to the fuel pump relay, and never shutting off... ECU Fubar'd?

Also to note: when I purchased the bike, the starter "button" didn't work.. He had it ghetto-rigged from the starter solenoid relay (I have not checked the button since the re-installation of the new wiring harness)

What I haven't done (yet) Tried a new fuel pump or a new ECU.

HELP

(Feel free to move this to help forum if you feel the need)
Old 10-22-2007, 03:56 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Fuel Pump wont stop running!

hhmm never heard this one before.......

are you saying that it pumps enough gas to fill up a cylinder and then it actually over flows into the air box ?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:26 PM
www.nwstunt.com

Originally Posted by old man roger
hhmm never heard this one before.......

are you saying that it pumps enough gas to fill up a cylinder and then it actually over flows into the air box ?

Correct! GSXR's are supposed to have a 3 second "prime" and then shut off, mine on the other hand will run as long as the key is on...

-T
Old 10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

well i think the prime stops when the system has a certain amount of pressure probably like 40 pounds or some thing so if the system doesn't hold pressure i think the pump will keep running so "if" im right then the cylinder that is filling up has a bad injector that is just bleeding off all the pressure by letting the gas leak out into the cylinder so if it were mine i would try changing out that injector with a buddy and see if the pump shuts off ..........

keep in mind im geussing but swapping out an injector is pretty easy to do so if it works great if not no harm done......
Old 10-22-2007, 01:42 PM

cjstunts is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^correct... a prime is to build up pressure, not to fire the injectors, If the injector is leakng/stuck open, then the system will never build up pressure, and the comp. and pump will continue to pump, until the pressure is built. change the leaking injector and you'll be good..
Old 10-22-2007, 01:44 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

is there a pressure regulator that might not be regulating?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:47 PM
also known as OMR

even if the regulator was bad i wouldn't think the injector would leak
Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM

even so, hes saying with just the key on the injector is filling up the cylinder, the regulator works on vacuum, so if the bike is not running, there will be no vac.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Weeeee!!

-ChaOs- is a decent person

Regulators are to keep flow at a certian pressure not to shut the pump off prime. If a regulator is bad the pump should still shut off due to pressure. I would have to go with Roger on this one check the injectors.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:51 PM
www.nwstunt.com

I thought the ECU primes on a timer based thing? Like primes for 3 seconds based off a timing chip?

Just what I thought....
Old 10-22-2007, 01:54 PM

no it primes till the correct pressure is seen. the reason it usually only primes for 2-3 sec. is that a well maintained fuel system shouldn't loose pressure, so if its supposed to be at 40psi, and the injector is letting the presure out, it will never build up enough to shut off the pump. and the cylinder filling up with the key off is a good sign theres a bad injector...
Old 10-22-2007, 02:33 PM
www.nwstunt.com

Another question - are the injectors/rail from an 02 1000 the same as the 02 600? If so, I can try this tonight, if not... well time to buy some
Old 10-22-2007, 02:35 PM

i highly doubt it, but i hate gixxers. you can check it by watching wqhich cyl. fills up. then switch injectore. if the problem follows the injector, its a bad injector. if the problem stays with the cyl, then its possibly the computer.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:36 PM

although the 1000 injector will probably fit in where the 600 one goes, it will just be the wrong flow size
Old 10-22-2007, 02:38 PM
also known as OMR

but it might work just to see if the pump turns off and then you won't waste money buying one if it's not the problem
Old 10-22-2007, 03:22 PM
www.nwstunt.com

So, what happens if all 4 cyl's are filling?

-T
Old 10-22-2007, 03:24 PM

then you most likely have a bad computer... very small chance that all 4 injectors are bad at the same time...
Old 10-22-2007, 03:25 PM
also known as OMR

i agree
Old 10-22-2007, 03:29 PM

you are a smart man. lol and MO sent this afternoon. theres 05 636 forks on ebay for 135 bin OMR, pretty cheap for them..
Old 10-22-2007, 03:31 PM
www.nwstunt.com

Thanks all...

-T$

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump wont stop running!