Why wont my battery stay charged

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:44 PM

OneWheelw is an unknown quantity at this point
Why wont my battery stay charged

Could someone tell why this NEW batt wont hold a charge. I changed the batt. and the rectafyer and it still dies after like 1 hr. of ridin.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Mof Diver

mofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant future
Re: Why wont my battery stay charged

replace stator
Old 06-24-2007, 12:46 PM

lczx6r is a decent person

maybe your alternator has seen its better days????
Old 06-24-2007, 01:28 PM

SIC J is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're bike is a honda, you need to use a HONDA battery. Otherwise the batteries won't last very long. Been there done that. I see people put batteries in from autozone and walmart all the time and they never lasted longer than a month.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:41 PM
www.TheXtremeShow.com

FrankieG is an unknown quantity at this point

You Have A Grounded Wire Somewhere......check Your Wireing Harn For Heat In A Specific Area And Trace The Wire.......

Alternator And Stator Are Possible But Unlikely! Check All Wireing Connections And Connectors....there Is A Short Draining The Batt!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:16 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SICmestizoRider
If you're bike is a honda, you need to use a HONDA battery. Otherwise the batteries won't last very long. Been there done that. I see people put batteries in from autozone and walmart all the time and they never lasted longer than a month.
Honda battery? hmm
Old 06-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Mof Diver

mofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant future

I'm goin on 3 yrs with my walmart battery. Follow the charging instructions, keep a trickle charge during the winter and batteries last. There all the same
Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 PM
haters are your best fans

DaHammer is an unknown quantity at this point

did u check ur flux capacitor? or it might be ur elbow connector?
Old 06-24-2007, 08:01 PM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mikie
Honda battery? hmm
I swear by Honda batteries and Honda tires

haha, nah, first thing to do would be check your charging voltage with a multimeter. should be around 14.2v @ around 5k rpm...
much more than that = bad reg/rec
much less than that = bad stator
Old 06-24-2007, 08:17 PM

de1xpoet is a decent person

i had the sam prob. but mine was the plug from the stator to the rectifier had a burnt prong.....
Old 06-24-2007, 08:31 PM

J-ride is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mofat01
I'm goin on 3 yrs with my walmart battery. Follow the charging instructions, keep a trickle charge during the winter and batteries last. There all the same
Damn I'm at 5 years on my '02 GSXR 1k battery.. <----- the stock battery.. have no ******' clue how it's lasted so long when the weather out here in Vegas kills batteries in 2 years.. if i ever have to change it, i'm going with the stock battery from Suzuki...:YEAH
Old 06-25-2007, 01:01 AM

Big R 508 is infamous around these parts

I had same problem that the battery wont charged , it may be many different things however I found what was the problem is but lets back up ..i replaced battery , recfiecr , stator and uhh one more i forget so it keeps doin the same thing so then i say **** it lets replaced main wiring harness problem solved ..there was a shot feedback somewhere and aint no got no time to find wiresd.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:12 AM

CrazyGirlR187 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Big R 508
I had same problem that the battery wont charged , it may be many different things however I found what was the problem is but lets back up ..i replaced battery , recfiecr , stator and uhh one more i forget so it keeps doin the same thing so then i say **** it lets replaced main wiring harness problem solved ..there was a shot feedback somewhere and aint no got no time to find wiresd.

I had the same prob on my 01 R1...Bought a new battery stator rectifier and nothing worked.........So then we went to the wiring harness and problemo solved!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:20 AM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Check your voltage with the bike off. It should be around 12v.
Check it with the bike running, it should be over 13....

If its not over 13, then you have a charging problem, stator, regulator, or wiring...
If its over 13, then your battery is just shot... I once had a brand new battery that just failed for NO reason and was only at 2 volts after a month!
and if its over 14.5 or 15v, then you have a bad regulator and your frying yout batterys

taking a wild guess

but you probably also buy honda oil, honda gasket sealer, and honda anyhting they recommend?

Last edited by Towlieee; 06-25-2007 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 AM

rwiggins is a decent person

If you want to test your stator its easy. Just get a multimeter and there should be 3 white wires that come from the stator a harness then that harness goes to the rectifier. Unplug that harness. Now there's 3 metal tabs on the end of the 3 wires all you do is get the bike running at 7K RPM and touch the multimeter to the 3 wires in all three possible ways that you can. If the stator is good then they should put out right at 70 Volts at 7K rpm. If only 2 or 1 of them put out that voltage then ur stator is only charing on 1 or 2 phases instead of all 3.
This happened to me before. It sucks.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:19 PM

OneWheelw is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys. ill give it ALLLL a try. oh ya... hey "dahammer" i already replaced the flux capacitor when i put my combo button on.. hahaaha
Old 06-26-2007, 10:25 PM
haters are your best fans

DaHammer is an unknown quantity at this point

^^haha
Old 06-26-2007, 11:42 PM

crazyfast27 is a decent person

I recently replaced my rectifier from a junked bike after my batery whent dead . Everything worked fine for a while. Then i smelt a sulfer smell for a few days and my battery went bad would not charge and its only a month old. So I returnd it to fleet farm, put a new battery in and same thing happend. So do you think the rectifier i put in is bad it was from a totaled bike . Or May I have a bad harness now. Becouse the old regulator rectifier burnt the end of my pulg .
Old 06-27-2007, 01:46 AM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by crazyfast27
I recently replaced my rectifier from a junked bike after my batery whent dead . Everything worked fine for a while. Then i smelt a sulfer smell for a few days and my battery went bad would not charge and its only a month old. So I returnd it to fleet farm, put a new battery in and same thing happend. So do you think the rectifier i put in is bad it was from a totaled bike . Or May I have a bad harness now. Becouse the old regulator rectifier burnt the end of my pulg .
What is your charging voltage? = voltage across battery terminals @ 5k rpm... you need to know that first. If that's right then start checking your connections and connectors, look for burnt insulation etc..
Old 06-27-2007, 02:18 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

[T-Roy] is an unknown quantity at this point

electrical problems are a ***** cause it could be all kinds of ****

i recently had the same problem.... in my case a prong came free from the plug going to the right turn signal, it kept grounding out on the fork tubes draining the battery

you are going to have to go through the entire harness checking for broken wires and **** undone unless you want to replace the entire electrical system piece by piece, have fun!

Quick Reply: Why wont my battery stay charged