Guy runs from cop, cop dies, biker gets 30yr

Old 12-04-2005, 10:30 AM

238mph is an unknown quantity at this point
Guy runs from cop, cop dies, biker gets 30yr

Man sentenced to 30 years in FHP trooper's death
Jay Stapleton

Staff Writer

Dec. 2, 2005

DAYTONA BEACH - There were no winners in the courtroom Friday when Donald Williams was sentenced to 30 years in prison for causing the death of a state trooper during a chase in 2004, a judge said.
More than 25 uniformed Florida Highway Patrol troopers filled half of Circuit Judge R. Michael Hutcheson's courtroom to support the family of Trooper Darryl Haywood, killed Oct. 2, 2004, when his cruiser, traveling at more than 100 mph, crashed into a car and then a tree on Interstate-4 while trying to stop Williams on a speeding motorcycle.

"Two people made a mistake that day," Tampa defense lawyer Leon Jones said of the speed the men were traveling. "Now, both families are hurting."

Haywood was killed when the tire on his Camaro cruiser blew out at 130 mph while chasing the motorcycle that was reported speeding and racing. His son was sworn as a trooper after his death.

During the sentencing, testimony heard from friends and loved ones of both men showed similarities they shared, including a commitment to work and family.

"No matter what sentence I impose," Hutcheson said before making his decision, "there will be no winner or loser." Williams, 39, a father of two from Seffner who had been ticketed six times in eight years, had no criminal record before. He was convicted in a jury trial Oct. 18 of aggravated manslaughter, vehicular homicide and fleeing or attempting to elude an officer causing death.

"You have taken away my life's partner, my children's father," widow Linda Haywood said. "Had you stopped as you were required to under the law, you would have realized that Trooper Haywood's interest in you was solely motivated by his obligation to enforce traffic laws and protect motorists of the state of Florida, including yourself .¤.¤. our hearts are broken and nothing will ever heal them."

Williams spoke in court for the first time Friday. He said he'd wanted to write a letter of apology to the Haywood family but was advised against it. Speaking slowly, Williams said he was deeply sorry.

"Something happened that day that tore two families apart," he said. "It was a bad thing that happened to two good people."

Haywood of Palm Coast was 49 and also a father of two. He was a New York City police detective who had been promoted to provide security for diplomats and presidents.

Williams was stopped in St. Johns County later that same day, when his motorcycle tire went flat. He confessed that he had accelerated to 100 mph when he saw the trooper on the side of the interstate. Throughout the trial, Williams denied that he ever knew the trooper was after him, in spite of witnesses who said they saw him look back as he sped by.

"I hope one day we will be able to put this behind us," Williams said, "and communicate like people."

As in the trial, Tampa defense lawyer Leon Jones said Haywood's death was caused not by Williams' actions, but by a choice the trooper made to aggressivly chase the motorcycle at high speed.

Haywood's daughter, Erica Haywood, 23, took offense to Jones' position that her father died because of his "choice" to continue pursuing Williams. "That was his job." she said. "It was not his choice."

Haywood was described as a proud yet humble trooper and dedicated family man. "Darryl had a passion for helping people," FHP Maj. Cyrus Brown said. "He intended to make the world a better place."

Likewise, Williams was portrayed by tearful family members as a veteran of the Gulf War, a generous friend and supportive father who remains a best friend of his ex-wife. In an emotional plea for leniency, Williams' teenage daughter, Shantavia Williams, said her father was on his way to see her near Jacksonville when Haywood died. "I feel like it's my fault," she said.

"I know if he could, he would take all this back," said Williams' niece, Amanda Thompson, 16.

Haywood's family members said later they felt the sentence was fair.

"As a Christian, I've already forgiven him," Linda Haywood said.

The deep sense of loss for both families was illuminated after Williams was led away to serve his time. After the television cameras had moved on, Linda Haywood walked over and offered Williams' 16-year-old daughter a hug. For a long moment, they held each other tight.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:43 AM

YB929RR is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Guy runs from cop, cop dies, biker gets 30yr

That Sux.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:43 AM
I Love To Post!

Schwartz will become famous soon enough

30 fuken years!!!

This is not right!!!

Could you imagine that happening to you?

*** That!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 11:33 AM

rydn600f4 is an unknown quantity at this point

that is messed up....its sad for the family and friends of the cop that died but it isnt the riders fault that the officer died....he was intending to kill the cop.....i wonder if that witness didnt see him look back if he would have gotten anything....how could they prove he was attempting to elude an officer then? i wouldnt want to imagin that happenin to me
Old 12-04-2005, 11:36 AM

stunt1 is an unknown quantity at this point

What if it was the other way around,and the rider got killed?
Would the cop get 30?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:41 AM

hyperryder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stunt1
Would the cop get 30?
that is so fucckin true the cop would go home that night and have drink ****kers im pised now bye
Old 12-04-2005, 11:42 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

Would the cop get 30?

+1
Old 12-04-2005, 11:51 AM

Ninja Nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Would the cop get 30?
+2
Old 12-04-2005, 11:54 AM
El Mas Puto Del Lugar

GeRiGiXXeR600 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Ninja Nick
+2
+1000!!

Law sucks and now that im studying the Law career i see it clearly!
Old 12-04-2005, 12:08 PM

onsighter514d is an unknown quantity at this point

Would the cop get 30?
C'mon guys. Don't be stupid. The rider chose to run and the cop was just doing his job. Don't get me wrong, i think 30 years is extreme, but how can you guys try and turn it around like that?
RIP
Old 12-04-2005, 12:20 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

at certain speeds the chase HAS to stop.

What if his tire blew, and the cop killed a family going to church???? The was VERY wreckless of the officer, extremely wreckless. Let the rider go, a traffic ticket isnt work killing people/thy-self for.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:21 PM

shadow0289 is an unknown quantity at this point

His JOB wasn't to chase. He could have called for more officers to help him stop. You can't outrun a radio. The cop made a choice to chase. I don't believe his job is to chase somebody at over 100 mph.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:56 PM

blacklincoln is an unknown quantity at this point

that judge is a little b!tch, he only gave that sentence cuz there was 25 cops in the courtroom mean muggin him. Eluding is eluding, not murder ...30 fukn years.... com on now what the hell is that gonna fix.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:22 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

jowalskiMO is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah. my dads a cop. their job isnt to chase. it is to SAFELY uphold the law.
chasing at 130 mph through traffic isnt SAFE.
i think it said the cop hit another car and then a tree....
eluding is one thing.
running from a cop isnt manslaughter.
and one more thing to remember, a given sentence isnt necessarily going to be what the judge says.......
that guy will most likely get out ALOT earlier than that....
Old 12-04-2005, 01:28 PM

rui929cracka is an unknown quantity at this point

the cop was in a juiced camaro and was prowly on a high horse like every cop in this country it is his own fault that he died not to be and ******* but it is not required that u chase a motorcycle traveling over a 100 in mst states they arent aloud to top 100 his own decision to hit the gas instead of calling for back up or air unit. he shouldnt have gotten 30 years cause its not like he threw something to pop the tire. i could understand some time but 30 years talk about intimidatin with 25 uniformed officers standing there infront of you i am sure that didnt influence the judges dicsision at all
Old 12-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator

GSE Brent is an unknown quantity at this point

thats bullshit FTP, no offense but the cop shouldn't of been chasing the bike, they know they cant catch us
Old 12-04-2005, 01:45 PM
TEAM KELM MOTHAFUUCKA***S

br denis is a glorious beacon of lightbr denis is a glorious beacon of lightbr denis is a glorious beacon of lightbr denis is a glorious beacon of lightbr denis is a glorious beacon of lightbr denis is a glorious beacon of light

that aint fair... now i am pissed off too! FTP!
Old 12-04-2005, 02:02 PM

DragNLow is an unknown quantity at this point

pretty ****in sad when cold blooded murderers and rapists get off with less than that
Old 12-04-2005, 02:02 PM

Reeff is an unknown quantity at this point

FTP Period,you get a lesser sentence buckin shoots below da waste
Old 12-04-2005, 02:05 PM

hyperryder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onsighter514d
C'mon guys. Don't be stupid. The rider chose to run and the cop was just doing his job. Don't get me wrong, i think 30 years is extreme, but how can you guys try and turn it around like that?
RIP
well it goes like this all the guy on the bike was doing is speeding to elude police not comiting murder ar even atemptid murder. i my eyes all the guy shold have been charged with is eluding the police and that only carey a max of $1000 and or 1 year in jail. it was not the guy on the bikes falt nor was it the cops falt the tire blew. bottom line is the guy on the bike was wrongly done. ftpftpftpftpftpftp thats all i have to say

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guy runs from cop, cop dies, biker gets 30yr