FIDDY TECH: Help, How-to, Parts & Mods Have a technical question? Looking for the best parts? Want to share some info on new fiddy parts you bought or have seen? Post it up here!

Fix your brakes for free, Brake modification

Old 05-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Don't read this.

GundamnitPete will become famous soon enough
Re: Fix your brakes for free, Brake modification

Originally Posted by homersparents
WOW YOU GOT ME ON SPELLING I AM IMPRESSED. BECOUSE SPELLING IS THE HALMARK OF INTELIGENT THAUGHT.

TWO SHOES THREE SHOES TEN SHOES……………..DON’T TELL ANYONE BUT SERFACE AREA OF BRAKE SHOE WILL NOT INCREASE BRAKING POWER.

IT WONT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE IF YOU HAVE MORE SHOES OR LES SHOES OR ONE SHOE THAT IS HALF SIZE. …When talking about braking power.

IT MAKES NO DIFFERANCE HOW MUCH SERFACE AREA YOUR BRAKE SHOE HAS
Ff = N*μf
Force of friction is equal to the normal force times the coefficient of friction
In other words the force brakes make is equal to the friction force which is equal to force applied to the brake shoes times the known value for the brake shoe against the brake drum.

None of that formula says anything about surface area or number of shoes or whatever. It does however; mention Normal force. By wedging the shoe you are creating extra normal force on the brake. Sure I got that. It works to stop you. It conceivably could lock up your brakes really good… more power to you

That aside I am not saying now that it doesn’t work. I am saying that by grinding part of the bottom brake shoe off your bringing flaws back into the brake system that where engineered out years ago. The reason the brake system is designed the way it is is to prevent the kind of WEDGING IN of the shoe that this mod causes.

I am just saying back yard engineering can be fun and dangerous. a mod of this nature before it is done should be researched and tested so someone isn’t paralyzed. I would hate to have invented a mod that broke someone’s neck.

Moding brakes in this way reintroduces a problem that wedging the top shoe could cause a huge lockup and a fall. That’s all I am saying …at first I wasn’t sure this mod could even work. Now I see that it works but not for the reason originally posted. It is the wedging of the shoe that increases pressure exerted on a portion of the shoe. That additional force, and not the fact that more shoes are touching, or that those shoes are timed together, that causes a increase in stopping power.

Stunts are great but so are brakes. They are probably the most important system on a bike period.

Think about it

Ff = N*μf

GOD your DUMB!

when the bottom hits first(from the factory it does), the friction of the spinning drum against the pad makes it want to close.

when the top hits first, it wasn't to wedge in, BUT IT DOESN'T. there is a spring on there, and it creates enough force to keep the brake from wedging itself in position.

can we have a mod just ban this idoit? he's obviously like 12 and uses dictionary.com to try and sound smart, posting formulas his math teacher told him.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

fab5fiddy is a decent person

hey fellas. a friend pointed this thread out to me so i thought i would drop by and say hello.

homer, thanx for the insults and your disbelief in my simple brake mod. im sorry i didnt write a 3 page instruction manual so people like you could understand how this works. many people have posted above me explaining it in laymen's terms why this works. if you still dont understand then im sorry. im a high school drop out that understands how things work. maybe if i stuck my head in front of a book all day like you i could type with big words to make people think i know what im talking about. get your hands dirty. you would be suprised how much you learn. if you dont like it, dont try it. simple as that. IT WORKS. i wouldnt have posted it if it didnt. im not here to waste peoples' time with bullshit threads. i start a thread when i feel it will help some people. i have proved myself in this hobby for years. im sorry you were not here to witness any of it, but the people who where here know it.

thanx to my bros for backin me up. those who tryed it know whats up. :YEAH
Old 05-22-2006, 09:00 PM

homersparents is an unknown quantity at this point

I really didn’t realize how hard head some people can be.

You are all too thick

By a guess you say I don’t get my hands dirty because it would be odd for a book-learned person to also be into mechanics.

How do any off you live with yourselves making assumptions about people you don’t know? You people decide that if you don’t understand something that it is best just to deride the person who wrote it.

It would be uncomfortable for you to see a person who is not only book smart but mechanically capable… you guise would be in sore shape in a room full of designee engineers. Believe me the are ALL both book smart and mechanically inclined. We have to be to get our jobs.

I am not attacking any one and yet you are all making personal assumptions about whether or not I am mechanically inclined. Or whether or not I am a 12 year old.

Those arguments are not valid

Have fun with your mod though, and best wishes to you all.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:16 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

fab5fiddy is a decent person

It would be uncomfortable for you to see a person who is not only book smart but mechanically capable… you guise would be in sore shape in a room full of designee engineers. Believe me the are ALL both book smart and mechanically inclined. We have to be to get our jobs.
grammar and spelling obviously arent' a requirement.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:18 PM
www.GSENick.com

GSE Nick is a decent person

Originally Posted by fab5fiddy
hey fellas. a friend pointed this thread out to me so i thought i would drop by and say hello.

homer, thanx for the insults and your disbelief in my simple brake mod. im sorry i didnt write a 3 page instruction manual so people like you could understand how this works. many people have posted above me explaining it in laymen's terms why this works. if you still dont understand then im sorry. im a high school drop out that understands how things work. maybe if i stuck my head in front of a book all day like you i could type with big words to make people think i know what im talking about. get your hands dirty. you would be suprised how much you learn. if you dont like it, dont try it. simple as that. IT WORKS. i wouldnt have posted it if it didnt. im not here to waste peoples' time with bullshit threads. i start a thread when i feel it will help some people. i have proved myself in this hobby for years. im sorry you were not here to witness any of it, but the people who where here know it.

thanx to my bros for backin me up. those who tryed it know whats up. :YEAH
fab i dont know bud..... but u are a 50 god:D

OK to the homer guy- quit being an ***

the brake mod works like a *****. i did it and it kicks ***. its almost unbelievable how much of a diff it really makes....

try this...... quit posting on this topic until u try it cause u really don't know what your talking about.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:20 PM

LAST THING I SAY IS

FROMUMS, emails, and IM's have a great reputation for spelling and grammar.

Oh no they don’t that’s right...hmm

Your argument is all about spelling and grammar being a basis for whether a person is intelligent or not or if they can reason out some basic rules of physics or if they are mechanically inclined enough to understand your BS.

What if they have been speaking English for a month or so.

Japs speak little English, spell English even worse, and there grammar is atrocious but they make a nice bike.

Your silly trying to say grammar and spelling are prerequisites on a forum.

You are also silly like a child because you make an assumption that people who use as you say "BIG WORDS" are automatically trying to impress someone (you). That’s pretty darn arrogant if you ask me why do you think anyone would want to impress this crowd of monkeys.

That is silly and I mean silly like a child would use the word silly. You assume I or any other “BIG WORD USER” is trying to impress you. They must be counterfeit because no one could speak like that and not be fake

I thought this would be the place to discus engineering. But it’s more of a place to post bull$hit and then if someone calls you on simply attack the person who disagrees. STUNLIFE Gestapo.

Every one who has tried this mod and has tested it in a lab environment with records video and logs book entries they can say weather or not it works as described. I by the way do not say THIS OR THST DOESN’T WORK.

I simply asked if someone had a REAL understanding of why it works. You all feel like you’re under scrutiny. I do not scrutinize you but asked WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON HERE IN THIS MOD. Every one of you has a different answer as to why this MOD can improve brake power. NONE OF THOSE ANSWERES HOLD UP TO SIMPLE SCIENTIFIC EXAMINATON.
It works because

1 top first…NO…they both get there sooner or later. The time is inconsequential.
2 more pressure …NO …you have the same foot as you always did
3 more friction…NO…the material involved have not been changed.
4 friction pulls in the top shoe more…NO friction does not pull or draw. It resists and pushes away it is not a pulling force.
5 two shoes at the same time provide twice the stopping power…NO… surface area is not considered. The forces are split amongst the two brake shoes evenly or unevenly it doesn’t matter. The formula for FORCE OF FRICITON does not consider surface. THIS IS THE FIRST PRINCIPLE you would be taught in your first mechanical devices class. If you had gone to school, like I assumed most of you had, you would know this. All you haters out there have great imaginations but no real explanation. If it works its because of the pixies……….
NOW THAT IS OVER, WE CAN ALL GET ON WITH THE SECRET MISSION. YOU KNOW THE MISSION WHERE WE ALL ARGUE OVER STUPID $HIT 1/8TH INCH OF BRAKE SHOE AND HEAD ARE ROLLING..WHO CARES
Old 05-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Don't read this.

LAST THING I SAY IS

FROMUMS, emails, and IM's have a great reputation for spelling and grammar.

Oh no they don’t that’s right...hmm

Your argument is all about spelling and grammar being a basis for whether a person is intelligent or not or if they can reason out some basic rules of physics or if they are mechanically inclined enough to understand your BS.

What if they have been speaking English for a month or so.

Japs speak little English, spell English even worse, and there grammar is atrocious but they make a nice bike.

Your silly trying to say grammar and spelling are prerequisites on a forum.

You are also silly like a child because you make an assumption that people who use as you say "BIG WORDS" are automatically trying to impress someone (you). That’s pretty darn arrogant if you ask me why do you think anyone would want to impress this crowd of monkeys.

That is silly and I mean silly like a child would use the word silly. You assume I or any other “BIG WORD USER” is trying to impress you. They must be counterfeit because no one could speak like that and not be fake

I thought this would be the place to discus engineering. But it’s more of a place to post bull$hit and then if someone calls you on simply attack the person who disagrees. STUNLIFE Gestapo.

Every one who has tried this mod and has tested it in a lab environment with records video and logs book entries they can say weather or not it works as described. I by the way do not say THIS OR THST DOESN’T WORK.

I simply asked if someone had a REAL understanding of why it works. You all feel like you’re under scrutiny. I do not scrutinize you but asked WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON HERE IN THIS MOD. Every one of you has a different answer as to why this MOD can improve brake power. NONE OF THOSE ANSWERES HOLD UP TO SIMPLE SCIENTIFIC EXAMINATON.
It works because

1 top first…NO…they both get there sooner or later. The time is inconsequential.
2 more pressure …NO …you have the same foot as you always did
3 more friction…NO…the material involved have not been changed.
4 friction pulls in the top shoe more…NO friction does not pull or draw. It resists and pushes away it is not a pulling force.
5 two shoes at the same time provide twice the stopping power…NO… surface area is not considered. The forces are split amongst the two brake shoes evenly or unevenly it doesn’t matter. The formula for FORCE OF FRICITON does not consider surface. THIS IS THE FIRST PRINCIPLE you would be taught in your first mechanical devices class. If you had gone to school, like I assumed most of you had, you would know this. All you haters out there have great imaginations but no real explanation. If it works its because of the pixies……….
NOW THAT IS OVER, WE CAN ALL GET ON WITH THE SECRET MISSION. YOU KNOW THE MISSION WHERE WE ALL ARGUE OVER STUPID $HIT 1/8TH INCH OF BRAKE SHOE AND HEAD ARE ROLLING..WHO CARES

stop smoke screening you dumb peice of ****.

we make fun of your spelling cause your trying to sound all edumacated, telling us that the broke mod DOESN'T work. when YOU"VE NEVER TRIED IT.

STFU DO THE BRAKE MOD THANK ME LATER!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Don't read this.

oh so it resists and pushes away?

have you ever thought of a lever action you retard? it RESISTS the pad's spring pulling the pad back, and PUSHES the end of the pad OUTWARD.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:45 PM

I Said I Was Done Now And You Are Gay For Believing Your Own Bull S%it...

Just Try It You Say
So I Should Try Everything Befor I Judge

Is That How You Found Out You Where Gay Some One Said Try It And You Did...interesting?

Tell Me Why Do You Hate Your Father...
Old 05-22-2006, 11:49 PM

I Have An Idea And I Know It Works For Real

Smear Your Brake Shoes With Chewing Gum... It Will Work I Know I Felt A Difference When I Tried It.
EITHER It Worked Or I Must Admit I Am Stupid For Trying. I Will Make A Thread About How This Worked Because I Must Have Felt A Great Improvement... Because If I Didn’t Then I Was Just Stupid For Dong Stupid Stuff To My Most Important System.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:01 AM

THIS THREAD IS DONE

Is there some other thread we can argue?
Old 05-23-2006, 03:26 AM

sytfu_RR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GundamnitPete
you are really stupid.
+1000 this mod works tested by many riders already.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:34 AM
www.GSENick.com

GSE Nick is a decent person

im ready to hit the ban button
Old 05-23-2006, 09:39 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GSE Nick
im ready to hit the ban button
Do it ... IP btw ...
Old 05-24-2006, 03:02 AM
I'M A REGISTERED USER !!

Crazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to behold

You are right homersparents , this mod doesn't work . Don't waste your time . We are all lying to you . We just want you to get your hands dirty .

The homersparents bashing all started because you said this mod. is too dangerous and you called a Longtime fiddy member a backyard psudo enginear that would give us false information . We don't care about crashing . Fab is a good member too . I would do any of his mods. .

All someone did is say "try it before you judge it" . But that was not good enough for you . You had to keep going .

Your theory is wrong . If you were right , the mod would not work . Well it does work . You are just to afraid to try something .

This mod. is not hard to do at all . No parts to buy . No heavy work involved . It would not set you back that much to take an hour of your time to do the mod. .

I guess you are only looking for the fast way to solve things and i already said , you want better brakes , buy a bike with disc brakes .

And don't ride a kids bike that isn't made to handle the weight of an adult .

Read your last 5 posts . Now your just as bad as other people cause you started name calling too . You contradicted yourself by doing this .

I don't care if you get banned or not . But you think we are childish and too thick . So you probably shouldn't be at Stuntlife anyway . Just don't click on Stunlife.com anymore . It is that simple .

We all helped you when you first came to Stunt life . You asked alot of questions and got answers . Now you don't want to believe us in this thread .

That's not our fault it . It's yours .
Old 05-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Don't read this.

I Said I Was Done Now And You Are Gay For Believing Your Own Bull S%it...

Just Try It You Say
So I Should Try Everything Befor I Judge
oh judge anyway, but don't act like an expert cause your NOT! your CLUELESS!

Is That How You Found Out You Where Gay Some One Said Try It And You Did...interesting?

Tell Me Why Do You Hate Your Father...
i've never hit the tip of my **** with a hammer, but i know i wouldn't like it. and i don't claim to be an expert on something i've never tried ( gay fu(King )

of course,you claim to be the expert on all things

ALL HAIL HOMER!!!!!!!

HOMER THE GREAT!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:08 PM

OK YOU are all right. I can see that you documented over a thousand people who have tried the mod.

I am admitting I am wrong and asking for your acceptance of my apologies to you all. I was wrong for stooping to the name calling level also.

I believe you all know what you are doing. You have convinced me.

Please except my humble apologies.

I see that his mod not only works but is safe as well. My friend who got me my job at BIG RED H. Said that upcoming brake design will include a similar set up to this mod. Not exactly but similar.

Sorry for my stupid remarks. I have only the excuse of youth and inexperience. I have only been engineering at Honda for 3 months. I thought I had this mod pegged but apparently I am not correct in my application of the frictional formula. It doesn’t apply here because of the increase in normal force.

You guys got my attention

What other ideas do you have?

Again sorry

Please do not ban me from stuntlife.

I am sorry humbly sorry!
Old 05-27-2006, 02:33 AM

Ninety8NeonACR is an unknown quantity at this point

Homersparents- go stand on a scale outside then push your arms up as hard as you can towards the sky. Then take that scale inside your house, stand on it and push on something above your head. Which one made the scale read more. Now imagine your brake drum with only one pad hitting the brake shoe. When only one is hitting do you think you are stopping as effectively as when 2 are? Didn't think so.
Chris
Old 05-27-2006, 10:39 PM

To Ninety8NeonACR As I understand it the brakes doesn’t work like that. but I can be wrong .there is a cam that’s pivot point doesn’t change position up or down so it’s not about one pushing off from the other. More surface area IE more brake shoes will not affect the breaking power. It sounds crazy but the force of friction is equal to the quality of the two surfaces multiplied by the force applied. This is not a theory of mathematics but a law and basic principle of mechanics.

Guys out there with fingers on the button lets not get exited I am not saying this mod doesn’t work anymore so just relax….

I can explain to you why surface area has nothing to do with frictional force in a demonstration you can do at home or you can just read on and test it later.

The principle that best exemplifies this is called ANGLE OF REPOSE that is the angel at which an object will begin to slide down a surface lain at a angle. The angel at whom the object begins to slide is called angel of repose. The reason why this is valid examination and applicable to brake system is because the force acting on the object becomes usable as the tilt is increased therefore it is almost like we are increasing the force applied to the object by tilting the table. ALL OTHER FACTORES REMAIN THE SAME. So we can test if surface area is involved in frictional force.
Lets say you take a regular rectangular 3D steel block. The surface of the block is completely uniform in its quality. In other words all sides are uniform in grade or polish levels. Now place the block onto a table or book Now place the block on the table so that the block rest on it thinnest sides or the side with the least surface area. Now lift one end of the table so that the angle increases slowly. Take note of the angle at which the block first slides. Just when it first begins to slide. Now switch sides of the block so that the block is now resting on its side with larger surface area. Begin raising the table and take note of where exactly the block begins to slide.
THE angle will be the same. That shows that the because gravity didn’t change and the quality of the surfaces involved didn’t change. That surface area did change but didn’t affect what angle that the block began to slide at. This proves that surface area has nothing to do with the force of friction.
Because as the drawing shows the brakes do not push against each other they are driven by a cam that drives them apart. The cam doesn’t appear to move up and down so I can see where more force would be applied. The only thing another brake shoe would do would add surface area. Surface area is not an issue with the force of friction..
Is there enough play in the cam so it can move up or down with the brake shoes?
That is the only way two shoes would have effect on frictional force
To increase friction you either chang surfaces or change the forces applied to them. THAT IS ALL you can DO…
Guys please don’t take this the wrong way. I am not trying to beat a dead dog or be a jerk. Just something about that last comment that is either not correct assumption or is not apparent from the drawings.
Anyone who can add to this please do
Old 05-27-2006, 11:26 PM
I'M A REGISTERED USER !!

Crazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to behold

Note to StuntLife Administrators :

I think the User Title should be left in a persons avatar for at least 100 posts . Maybe even 150 posts .

Last edited by Crazy D; 05-28-2006 at 12:05 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fix your brakes for free, Brake modification