FIDDY TECH: Help, How-to, Parts & Mods Have a technical question? Looking for the best parts? Want to share some info on new fiddy parts you bought or have seen? Post it up here!

Tire changing 101

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:48 PM

bikefrk is an unknown quantity at this point
Tire changing 101

Tools needed:

2 tire irons. I spent around $10 for mine at the local Honda shop. Made by Moose.

Valve stem tool. A couple of bucks at Auto Zone. Make sure it has a valve core tool on it also.

Maybe a couple of extra tubes or a patch kit, just in case. Best patch kit I found was at a pedal bike shop. Self adhesive style. I fix my pinched tubes so I have extra ones laying around if I need it.

Taking it off:

Take the valve core out. In doing this you will let all of the air out of the tube quickly. You will need to buy a valve stem tool for that.

Start opposite the valve stem. Take little bites with the tire irons. Work your way around to the valve stem from both directions.

Once one side of the tire is off the rim, take the tube out. If there is a nut on the valve stem on the outside of the rim take it off to get the tube out. (I use a nut on the inside and outside of the stem. I have never rotated a tube or got a pinch flat using this method.)

When I get the tube out I put the valve core back in and pump up the tube to see if I pinched it with the tire irons while taking it out. Leave it inflated while you finish the tire removal and new tire installation.

Use the tire irons again if you can't roll the other side of the tire off the rim with your hands.

Installing new tire:

You are now ready to put the new tire on. Take note of the sidewalls of the new tire. Some have an arrow indicating direction of travel. Mount it the correct way. A warm tire also helps. If I am doing it in the garage in the winter I will put the tires on top of my Kerosene heater for a while to get them warm.

I use Windex or whatever (anything that will evaporate) I have handy to lube the tire.

Slide one side of the tire over the rim. If you can't do it by hand, use the tire irons again.

Make sure the rim strip (rubber piece that goes around the inside of the rim to keep the spokes from poking the tube) is lined up properly with the rim and valve stem hole. My strips are trashed. I installed electrical tape in place of them. A few times around the rim and you are all set.

Grab the tube and take the valve core out again. Work the tube inside the rim and get the valve stem through the valve stem hole(tricky the first few times).

Once you have the valve stem through, get the outside nut on it before it slides back in. It isn't important to tighten it down now but don't forget to do it.

Install the valve core. I put a small shot of air in the tube at this point. Then slide your hand around the tube inside to make sure there are no creases or wrinkles in it.

Take the valve core out again.

Lube the tire with whatever you have (that will evaporate).

Start at the valve stem and work your way away from it. If you can't get it to go by hand, (some tires are really stiff SOB's) use the tire irons. A little bit at a time. Don't be in a hurry. That will get you a pinched tube. Put the tire iron in just enough so it grabs the side of the rim. If you jam it in all the way you WILL pinch the tube and then you get to start again.

As you get to the end of putting the second side of the tire in it will get very tight. Careful with the tire irons and use some muscle.

Once it is on, bounce it up and down on the floor so it will seat properly in the rim. There is nothing worse than a tire that doesn't rotate right.

I like to run around 35PSI in my street tires. Pump it to wherever you want the pressure and do the other one.

I won't put it back on the bike until I know it will hold pressure. Changing the other tire will give it time to make sure it doesn't have a leak.

Install it on the bike and ride.

Last edited by bikefrk; 01-10-2005 at 06:51 PM.