Front MC doesn't work with 954rr front end conversion

Old 10-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Ashes is a decent person
Front MC doesn't work with 954rr front end conversion

Like the title says, I have a 2001 F4i with a 954rr front end conversion. Wheel, rotors, calipers, forks, etc. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get any pressure on the front brakes. I have bled, and re-bled the system countless times. I thought the MC might be faulty so I did a rebuild kit, no luck. I determined the whole thing must need replacing, so I pulled a mint MC off my 2009 cbr600rr, still no luck. (It worked great on the previous bike) The previous SS braided brake lines had worn through the SS sheath to the hose beneath, due to rubbing, so I figured the line could be expanding. I replaced the lines and re-bled, still nothing. There is pressure, but it's so negligible it cannot be safely ridden. Couldn't do a stoppie if I wanted to, let alone unweight the rear for rolling burnouts.

So what the hell could it be? My guess is 600 sized MC's don't have enough fluid displacement to compress liter bike calipers. I don't know what the piston size or stroke is for either, but that's the only thing I can think of.

The other thing, although unlikely, might be the brake pads. They may have been saturated with fork oil, due to blown seals, but I've scrubbed them and cleaned them, with no improvement. Besides which, while new pads might offer more bite, it wouldn't explain the squishy lever.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:54 PM
Administrators

WHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Front MC doesn't work with 954rr front end conversion

Start at the master and crack the line open till you have fluid dripping out, Now Crack the bleeder screws open and fill your resivor, grab a beer and wait for gravity to take its course.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:21 PM

Ashes is a decent person

I've never bled brakes that way, but I'm more than willing to try it if you think it'll make a difference. Would you recommend emptying the line of preexisting brake fluid first, or use it as a siphon to pull down fresh fluid?

Also, in your experience, is a 600 MC capable of clamping down 954 calipers?

To preface, Im no chump when it comes to motorcycle maintenance, so I honestly don't think it's due to air in the lines. I'll try it, but any other ideas as to what it might be.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:01 PM
FTP!

Nappy is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably the piston size if you've bled everything properly. Where are you located? I can look it over....
Old 10-04-2016, 05:03 PM
FTP!

I've run a 954 front end swap. I would definitely NOT run an f4i master. I don't know what the 600rr size is, but 1000rr masters SUCKED with a 954 front end. Could be similar. I ran a GSXR master and it was money...
Old 10-04-2016, 05:08 PM

Ashes is a decent person

Sweet, that's what I figured. I'll have to look into getting a gixxer 1000 MC. Thanks for the tip Nap, I'll hit you up on FB if you wanna take a look.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:35 PM
FTP!

http://stuntride.com/vbstunt/showthr...zing-Explained