protective clothing advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Stunter In Training

xskyjackerx is a decent person
protective clothing advice?

I recently crashed my dirt bike on a gravel road and it hurts a lot. All I was wearing was a helmet and shorts and a t-shirt. I was only going about 20 miles an hour when I pulled a wheelie and shifted to high up in the RPM's and flip. I now have a broken wrist horrible road rash and a badly bruised ego. Had I had on jeans and even a basic coat this could've all been prevented.My dad has told me that leather is the best protective clothing however he is a old school Harley guy. What do you guys prefer when riding(elbow pads,knee pads,boots)?By the way I was on a dirt bike hence the gravel road. I also just wanted to say I'm 17 instead of this incident discouraging me I want to hop back on the bike find a nice field and practice what I did wrong. Has anyone else had this feeling or am I just crazy? I look like a mummy because I'm so wrapped up..
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 AM

DARKS1D3 is a decent person
Re: protective clothing advice?

jeans and a long sleeve shirt would of been more protection then just shorts and a tee. i ride dirt as well and i just went on craigslist or eBay and got some good stuff also just going to a local bike shop. my knee pads i got for 16$ and i use them when im stunting and riding dirt. i bought an EVS jacket for when i ride dirt and it was 80$ (prob cheaper cause i bought it 2 yrs ago) the good thing about the jacket is it has elbow pads, spine, shoulder guards, chest protector, and kidney belt all built in. my boots i got for 20$ and they were only used twice, i got them off craigslist from a guy that had no use for them, you just gotta take the time to look for stuff. it took me 2 months to get all my gear but the stuff i have works really good. EVS is a good brand, they have good stuff for cheap
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Stunter In Training

EVS,i will remember them.Ive been wondering about helmets as well.So ur average dirt biker bites the dust quite abit as compared to your average biker(i cant speak for stunting as i have never done any stunts).Wouldnt a company think of this when designing a helmet?Or is there a factory standard and mx helmets just look different then a full face helmet.Im just curious because if mx helmets are designed for low speeds would they not be better for stunting?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by xskyjackerx
EVS,i will remember them.Ive been wondering about helmets as well.So ur average dirt biker bites the dust quite abit as compared to your average biker(i cant speak for stunting as i have never done any stunts).Wouldnt a company think of this when designing a helmet?Or is there a factory standard and mx helmets just look different then a full face helmet.Im just curious because if mx helmets are designed for low speeds would they not be better for stunting?

alot of guys use MX helmets as well use street. ICON came out with a new helmet as well (VARIANT), its a cross between a street/MX helmet

http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=73418
Old 07-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Stunter In Training

Originally Posted by DARKS1D3
alot of guys use MX helmets as well use street. ICON came out with a new helmet as well (VARIANT), its a cross between a street/MX helmet

http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=73418
I will look into that helmet.Can't count how many times my helmet has cushioned falls.Its time to retire it.I have family and friends that i have to look out for.Cant put a price on that.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by xskyjackerx
I will look into that helmet.Can't count how many times my helmet has cushioned falls.Its time to retire it.I have family and friends that i have to look out for.Cant put a price on that.

very true
Old 07-17-2013, 03:12 AM

clark24 is a decent person

Very informative post sharing here. I thankful to u.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:51 AM

ladydirector is a decent person

I think ,aside from protective clothing in biking, one must also invest for protective gears, including bike helmets, bike armor, knee guards, gloves, & many more.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 AM

PacifiedSide is a decent person

I don't have much advise for dirt but my 2 cents would be if it was me I'd like to have MX helmet, gloves (with wrist protectors.. go figure), a mesh jacket with built in armor (elbow shoulder back) a chest protector, some MX or just good riding boots and knee pads ( don't mean I could afford all of it off the rip ). I'd only prefer that because when I'm on a dirtbike I push it a lot. Wheelies, jumps, fast running trails.. w/e and if I ever came down wrong from the air or came off running parallel to trees or WHATEVER .. I'd want to be protected.. BUT if your just out playing around get you a mesh armored jacket. Not too sure about leathers on a dirtbike lol..
Old 01-27-2014, 07:45 PM

lifender is a decent person

Leather could really provide some good protection, but in a hot sunny day it quite uncomfortable to use it. I suggest to get or use mesh type materials they are not that expensive and much comfortable compare leather. I myself uses komine riding gloves and Joe rocket ballistic jacket and pants. And I would say I'm very confident and comfortable using them.