How to Rivet your chain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:15 PM

trickshow is a decent person
How to Rivet your chain?

I dont wana spend 80 dollars on a rivet tool...is there any way to link the chian without the tool.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: How to Rivet your chain?

take a sledgehammer or some other large metal object, and hold it behind the link, to keep the chain from moving

then take a ballpeen hammer and start hitting the pin with it til it mushrooms
Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeM
take a sledgehammer or some other large metal object, and hold it behind the link, to keep the chain from moving

then take a ballpeen hammer and start hitting the pin with it til it mushrooms

ehh, take a big set of vice grips and a socket or washers. put the washers on the outside plate your trying to press on this will let the plate countersink......when you press the outer link plate on then you can do what MikeM said.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Place the chain up against the swing arm and peen the pins with a center punch and a hammer.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:42 PM

John LegionST is a decent person

get a clip style master... put it on properly, then safety wire... best setup IMO
Old 01-14-2008, 01:46 PM

Ghini is a decent person

^^^ +1

makes it alot easier too IMO
Old 01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by John LegionST
get a clip style master... put it on properly, then safety wire... best setup IMO
That's what i do now, just without the safety wire. I like to live dangerously.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:51 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by NINER
That's what i do now, just without the safety wire. I like to live dangerously.
most of my bike had at least 2 masters in the chain .
Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by stock05
most of my bike had at least 2 masters in the chain .
Nothing wrong with that either as long as you install them the right way.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM

Nothing wrong with that either as long as you install them the right way.
yeah, its much cheaper than buying a new chain .
Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

Place the chain up against the swing arm and peen the pins with a center punch and a hammer.

most people dont want to bang up their swing arm...and like you ive run 2 clip style master links in a chain before...put the clip on the proper way (like a comet) and you shouldnt have any problems...granted that clip never flys off your chain will be as strong as an endless chain
Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
most people dont want to bang up their swing arm...and like you ive run 2 clip style master links in a chain before...put the clip on the proper way (like a comet) and you shouldnt have any problems...granted that clip never flys off your chain will be as strong as an endless chain
i believe that was a **** head reply
Old 01-14-2008, 10:06 PM

Josh Faught is an unknown quantity at this point

clip link is legit
Old 01-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Retired

For the glamma stunters they can put a piece of cardboard between their chain and their swingarm. The key with clip style master links is spreading the chain after you put on the retainer clip so the clip is held in place.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

Niner, your poor tailight
Old 01-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Daddy Squid

seldon929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John LegionST
that's how I roll
Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

I ran clip style master links for the longest time, like 3 years

Then like 6 months ago I rode across my hood to my friends, got off my bike, and just out of the corner of my eye I noticed there was no clip on my master link!

I had put over 5,000 miles on it since I last had that master link off, and randomly at some point in time it came off...

I babied it back to my house, and parked it tell I get a new master link with safety wire

edit: oh ya and my friends f4i I just put 2 clip-style links on it haha, and when my sprocket comes in I'm doing the same.. But always run safety wire!

If you run no safety wire, and you claim its gravy, don't post up complaining when your chain binds up in your engine and destroys the case, or worse, takes off your leg!

Last edited by Towlieee; 01-15-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Retired

Niner, your poor tailight
I bought a Baja Desigs one. The stocker was ugly anyway.