Steps To Prep Your Bike (or Anything For That Matter) For Paint, The Proper Way

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:35 AM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts
Steps To Prep Your Bike (or Anything For That Matter) For Paint, The Proper Way

i decided to do this since im bored, its winter, and most are using the down time to tighten up their bikes.

here are the basic steps to prepping for paint (depending on what you are doing, there may be some variances). all items mentioned can be purchased from your local paint supply store. [RED = items you will need]
  1. clean the parts to be painted, remove everything (i.e stickers, tar, dirt, etc) you can use a wax and grease remover to help aid in the removal process.
  2. wet sand using 600-800 grit wet/dry sand paper (600 if you are going with a solid color, 800 if you are going with a pearl or metallic, i like to use 800 regardless). when sanding, cut your paper in half (hamburger style) and fold it into thirds. try to use a sanding block or if using your hand, keep your fingers together and keep your hand as flat as you can to the part youre sanding. dont sand in circles (this will cause flat spots), use a back and forth motion and stay away from edges, they are very easy to burn through. your goal in wet sanding is just to knock down the orange peel in the clear. it doesnt take much, so be careful not to burn through.
  3. once you have the clear flat, use a gray 3M scotchbrite with a sanding/cleaning/prep paste to scuff the area that you could not reach with the sand paper. use firm pressure when scuffing and be sure to keep the part wet and rinse it as soon as you finish scuffing (you may need to use your hand to go over the part to help remove the residue from the paste)
  4. now is the point where you no longer want to touch your parts with your bare hands, because the oils/dirt from your hand will get into the fine scratches (from the wetsanding) and cause fisheyes. so with your latex/nitrile gloves start setting up your parts the way you are going to spray them (i.e hang them, on a stand, or table). once you have them set-up, begin cleaning them with a wax and grease remover. use two sets of paper towels one with the wax and grease remover on it and the other to wipe it off (do not let it dry on the part or this too will cause fisheyes). use a wax on wax off motion (yes just like karate kid) to apply and remove the wax and grease remover.
  5. once your parts are set-up and cleaned, its time to "tack" them off. this will require a tack rag/cloth. open your tack rag up and fold it into about a 6" square, then use it to gently glide over your parts to remove the dust and lint that have settled on it (do not apply much pressure as the tacky substance on the tack rag will also cause fisheyes).
  6. now you are ready to spray.
hope this helps.

Last edited by stock05; 12-31-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:44 AM
Almost Don't Count

bulgarianMike is a decent person
Re: Steps To Prep Your Bike (or Anything For That Matter) For Paint, The Proper Way

nice ... sticky
Old 12-31-2008, 04:52 AM

Re: Steps To Prep Your Bike (or Anything For That Matter) For Paint, The Proper Way

Originally Posted by bboy953
nice ... sticky
thanks, but its up to nags or one of the other mods to sticky this thread.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 AM

warguy is a decent person

nice write up.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 AM

DEBO is a decent person

Hope you got some extra paint. Im coming over!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:07 AM
The Jew!

A-BX will become famous soon enoughA-BX will become famous soon enough

Good info too bad you didnt write this before I painted my bike
Old 12-31-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by A-BX
Good info too bad you didnt write this before I painted my bike
well, get em next time champ.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:46 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Figure I'll add something else in

metal tooth brush with some sort of degreser (I use orange blast from walmart) spray it on, tooth brush it, hit it with the garden hose to let the grease run off

Makes quick work, and I know my bike always has grease in all the wrong spots
Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Figure I'll add something else in

metal tooth brush with some sort of degreser (I use orange blast from walmart) spray it on, tooth brush it, hit it with the garden hose to let the grease run off

Makes quick work, and I know my bike always has grease in all the wrong spots
that will do more bad than good.